PDA

View Full Version : Vrw & vdf 16.0

Boris
7-Sep-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm in the progress of migrating to vdf 16.00 from 15.1
I uninstalled VRW, VDF 15.1 and Installed 16.
Now when I try to install VRW it pops with an error that it can't find vdf 15.1, how can I solve this?
Thanks in Advanced

JimNC9
7-Sep-2010, 01:29 PM
I think you must reinstall 15.1.

Boris
7-Sep-2010, 04:00 PM
That is what I thought was the solution. absurd though...

DaveR
7-Sep-2010, 04:59 PM
I suppose VRW does come from a different part of the DAW empire, however calling it VRW 2010 when it required VDF2009 was a bit dozy.

Presumably VRW 2011 will have the VDF 2010 integration :D

Europeans, eh? :)

DavePorter
7-Sep-2010, 07:26 PM
Vincent said that a version that is compatible with 16.0 would be released - quote...
"Shortly after the release of Visual DataFlex 2010 (v16.0) we will release a Visual Report Writer 2010 (for Visual DataFlex 2010)."

Last time I asked I didn't get an answer - so I hope it will be soon...

regards, Dave

Vincent Oorsprong
8-Sep-2010, 12:31 AM
Dave, All,

We are currently testing new builds of Visual Report Writer 2010 (v1.3) for Visual DataFlex 2010 (v16.0).

Next to a new build we have added some features the customers were asking for, such as translation of special fields like "Page N of M".

I cannot give you an exact date yet.

Vincent Oorsprong
8-Sep-2010, 12:33 AM
Boris,

For the moment you need to install a Visual DataFlex 15.1 Studio or Client License on your machine. The next release of Visual Report Writer will come with its own Client License when the required Visual DataFlex version is not present.

DavePorter
8-Sep-2010, 02:31 AM
Cheers Vincent, appreciate the feedback.
Dave

Boris
13-Sep-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks Vincent.

hellboy
2-Oct-2010, 07:56 AM
Any updates on Visual Report Writer for VDF 16 yet?

Nick
5-Oct-2010, 08:19 AM
The next version (V1.3) will be available soon. We're ironing out the last issues today and work towards what we call an "internal release" by the end of the week. Lining up administrative procedures internally and among partners, updating our communications etc. (we call this "produfication") shouldn't take too long.

V1.3 will come as a Standard and a Developer Edition, both running on VDF16.0. The Developer Edition will support integration with VDF15.1 as well as VDF16.0. All editions/versions should be able to run "side-by-side".

A couple more improvements made it into this version than was originally planned. We apologize for the delay this caused, but we hope it will be worth the wait, especially to the people that needed some of these improvements badly. Details follow.
Nick

Frank Neill
5-Oct-2010, 07:18 PM
Quick question(s). I have VRW for 15.1 but have upgraded to VDF 16.0, consequently I will only need the Standard Edition as I will be developing programs only in VDF 16.0 ?
Will I need to uninstall my current version before installing this version ? (I still have VDF 15.1 installed as a reference point only but do not use it otherwise)
Obtaining this version is covered by Subscription Fees - no additional charges apply ?
Thanks
Frank

Nick
6-Oct-2010, 02:38 AM
If you want to integrate reports in your VDF apps, and possibly distirbute the VRW runtime (royalty-free) you need the Developer Edition.

If you had V1.2 installed, V1.3 can be installed and both will work. You can even install a Standard Edition besides it, it should all work. Just note that the default for opening a .VRW will now be the last product that you chose to install.

Special note for people who have not yet migrated their apps to VDF16: The new VRW Developer Edition V1.3 supports integration with VDF15.1 Studio.

No charges apply within one year of purchase, just get the update upon release.

We spent a great deal of effort to make sure that developers can have all versions/editions working side-by-side. However, we advise to migrate to the latest version as soon as possible. Reason is of course that newer versions will support more features, impacting (limiting) back-ward compatibility.
Nick

Btw... Instead of distributing reports and runtime freely, you can of course buy a "Standard Edition" for all of your customers! :-) (that's what the Standard Edition is meant for)