PDA

View Full Version : Selections

Bob Worsley
24-Jul-2010, 10:48 AM
I defined a report with a customer selection filter and then walked through the integration wizard and never saw the “Selection fields” page in the wizard. Apparently something in the report design triggers this and I'd assume it would be the filter I defined in the filter expert. I've tried this several times and can never get that page to show, as shown in the help... Help!

Update - Thinking maybe no selection filters in the report would trigger the selection field page in the wizard, I removed the filters. No joy...

btw, using the released version.

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Jul-2010, 03:12 AM
Bob,

Is your datasource an ODBC datasource? If so, the pages are skipped. The VRWAPI OCX does not have a function to return the columns used in the report. We decided that we would not build a special ODBC specific function in the wizard that enumerates the columns from your ODBC connection.

You have to make your own selection controls in the reportview.

Bob Worsley
25-Jul-2010, 07:51 AM
ODBC - Yes it is. Is that written down anywhere?

Michael Mullan
25-Jul-2010, 09:05 AM
A popup or message instead would be good too.

Bob Worsley
25-Jul-2010, 09:15 AM
What seems to be a minimally painless workaround is to define any report in VRW as DataFlex, select the same tables to be used in the ODBC report, but don't bother doing anything else - don't write or select anything else for the report - but be sure to save it.

If you then run the integration wizard, you do get the selection field page. Finish the Wizard and delete the temp report. Or, I suppose one could just code it by hand.

Had I known all of this going in it would have saved me a couple of hours of struggling.

kelly
16-Sep-2010, 07:02 PM
Hello,

We would really really like a special function to do this. We have over 100 reports to write within 2 weeks and they all have to be done in VRW. If we can't we are going to have to work out how to do this manually and that will take us ages.

PLEASE can someone help us here.

Thanks
Kelly.

kelly
16-Sep-2010, 07:34 PM
Hello,

Can someone please tell us how to add selections to the report after we have integrated it. It seems totally illogical to have released a new report program without anyone being able to quickly use selections which is what most reports would be based on and virtually every single on of ours are and we have hundreds.

We look forward to a quick answer.

Thanks
Kelly.

Bob Worsley
17-Sep-2010, 08:02 AM
Kelly, in thinking back on this I think there are two ways to do this. Either write them manually, or do what I did. In my case the old DF database was still available so I simply put a filelist in place that referenced the DF database instead of the SQL and ran the Wizard to generate the appropriate selection screens. I may have created a small test workspace for this, I don't remember. Anyway, it was just a matter of faking out the Wizard, as I remember it.

Vincent Oorsprong
19-Sep-2010, 05:11 AM
Bob,

Not in the upcoming release but in a version after that we want to improve the wizard in also offering selections when the datasource is not DataFlex and filelist based.

kelly
19-Sep-2010, 03:54 PM
Hello Vincent. We seem to really be struggling with this.I have tried putting that code into my report in VDF but to no joy. Do you have an email address that i could send my trial reports to for you to look at????If we can't do this in a fairly easy way we will have to try and make do with winprint although that will make doing the special labels virtually impossible. If we had an interface it would mean that we could use VRW. It still seems quite unusal that there was no ODBC interface for selections when that is what most people use [eg SQL etc], is there any time frame for an interface??Also we don't have the Dataflex database. My Co-programmer thinks he can create a dataflex database but we still don't really understand how to do it. Sorry its totally new to us and although we have had a quick look through the VRW manual we still don't really understand it. We are very grateful for the advice so far and look forward to your reply.ThanksKelly

Vincent Oorsprong
20-Sep-2010, 12:50 AM
Kelly,

Send your support request to support@dataaccess.eu

You are right that ODBC was one of the data sources during design but time limitations made it not possible to add all functions wanted by all developers in the API. As written, the API will be extended. In the mean time you have to use psFilterFunction manually, thus not wizard supported.

To All, one of the things we improved in the upcoming release is easier access to the report object when using the preview panel and dynamically created reportview via a callback object.

kelly
20-Sep-2010, 06:16 PM
Hello Vincent.

Last time i tried emaling support they never seemed to get the message.

Not sure if it was you i was in contact with about the error 4104 but that was caused because we had forgotten that we had to click on and drag to the field we wanted to relate to.

In regards to selections. I'm really struggling with this. If i emailed you the codee and reports is there any chance you could take a look at them and tell me what i am doing wrong??? If so please send me your email address. Mine is info@creativeadmin.co.nz.

Thank you for you help.
Kelly

Vincent Oorsprong
21-Sep-2010, 12:35 AM
Kelly,

Just checked the support e-mail account and there is no received messages (not in inbox, not in spam folders). I checked my other e-mail boxes and nothing there.

kelly
13-Oct-2010, 01:45 PM
Hello Vincent. We have just sent the email sorry we have been so behind due the serious earthquakes. To date there has been over 1700 aftershooks equating to about an average of 40 a day and these are averaging about 4-5 on the ritcher scale so its not good. Please can you check it has come and let us know. Thanks Kelly

Vincent Oorsprong
13-Oct-2010, 06:04 PM
Kelly,

One of the colleagues at support needs (and will) pick it up. I am on holiday, currently in Xi'an.