PDA

View Full Version : Check database issue

craigkrum
25-May-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok, now this is really strange. I have a database with 2 fields. They are named Field_1 and Field_2. The types don't make any difference. I create a report on this file and I get my 2 fields available to use. I add Field_3 to the database. When I check database in the report, the field is properly added to the list of fields. I then add Field_4 to the database. Now when I check database, the field is there, but it is mapped to a different, existing field in the report. When I drag and drop the field to the report, it is replaced by the other field from the list.

It originally showed up on a big report I have been working on, so I created this small test report to verify it. I hope there is a solution, because I would really, really, hate to start over on it.

Thanks,

Bob Worsley
25-May-2010, 03:47 PM
Maybe use of the word "field" is biting you? It used to cause all kinds of problems in dbBldr.

craigkrum
25-May-2010, 04:36 PM
It would be nice if it were that simple. I just used 'Field' in the test database I created to demonstrate the problem. In my actual database I had regular field names. But, just to be on the safe side, I will try it again with different field names.

Here's hoping

[Edit]

Tried it with fields named Test_1, Test_2, etc. Same result. I did notice that the newly added field always seems to map to the previous last field in the list.

craigkrum
2-Jun-2010, 06:26 PM
Thought I should bump this. I am surprised that I have not gotten any feed back on this issue. I had thought that the database checker was basically a 'make or break' feature of VRW. Maybe I am the only one experiencing this problem? Just wondering.

Craig

Vincent Oorsprong
2-Jun-2010, 10:44 PM
Craig,

Have you tried to correct the automatic field mapping with a manual operation? Use the floating menu and correct the "wrong" automatic mapping.

We would be happy with a report, table structure description and exact steps that can be used to duplicate the reported problem so that we can take a look at it at debug time.

craigkrum
7-Jun-2010, 03:36 PM
Step 1: Create a database with 1 field in it (any name, any type, any size)
Step 2: Create a report on this database that displays the one field.
Step 3: Add a field to the database (any name, any type, any size)
Step 4: Use check database to add field to the report. (Appears in bold, as it should)
Step 5: Add a field to the database (any name, any type, any size)
Step 6: Use check database to try and add field to the report. (Does not appear in bold)

The field name will be there but will not be mapped to the correct field from the database. In fact, the new field in the database won't even appear in the list if you try to manually map it to a field. It is like you only get one shot at adding fields to the database.

This is using the embbeded Dataflex database