PDA

View Full Version : Grouping splits detail sections

craigkrum
21-May-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a report that uses a Details-A and Details-B section to handle my subreport, which works fine. But, if I add one or more groups to the report, the group footers will split the two detail sections instead of coming after both of them. Once they are split, they both have the name 'Details' and can't be moved. I get around it currently by copying my subreport, deleting the Detals-B section, adding my groups, adding the second Details section back and pasting my subreport back into it.

Vincent Oorsprong
21-May-2010, 11:30 PM
Craig,

Could you send the report (with the table information, data not needed) to support@dataaccess.eu (or directly add it to the support ticket 1343, you've received an e-mail about this)? I've tried to duplicate what you say and I can't get it wrong, so we want to inspect your report and see what goes wrong.

craigkrum
24-May-2010, 10:19 AM
It actually happens on any report I try. Here are the steps:

1: Create a new report with a database - I am using the embedded database

2: Use Section Expert to add a 2nd Detail Section - Shows as Detail-B

The report will have the following layout:

Report Header
Page Header
Details - A
Details - B
Report Footer
Page Footer

3: Use the Group Expert to add a group

The report will now have the following layout:

Report Header
Page Header
Group Header #1
Details
Group Footer #1
Details
Report Footer
Page Footer

Maybe this is how it is supposed to work, but I thought it would keep the 2 detail sections together.

Craig

Vincent Oorsprong
24-May-2010, 10:27 AM
Craig,

Just tried it again and I can't get it to fail. Are you using RC III and how many tables are in the report (maybe that is important). Can you do it with the data in the order entry example?

craigkrum
24-May-2010, 11:25 AM
Vincent,

I just tried it with the users table from the order entry system and got the same results. Are you creating your Detail-B section before you add the group? And after you add your group you still have Detail-A and Detail-B next to each other? That is odd.

According to the 'Help/About' I am using RC III version 1.2.1.6839. As long as I create my groups first and then create my second detail section, everything works fine, so it's not a real problem

Craig

Vincent Oorsprong
24-May-2010, 02:28 PM
Craig,

Using the same version. I've just tried to duplicate what you wrote and there must be a important difference. In the helpdesk express support ticket I will enclose a small video I made from my attempt. The video is too big for the forum and should also not be here. Compare this with what you do and if you can tell me what to do different to create the wrong order of sections.

craigkrum
24-May-2010, 03:40 PM
Vincent,

Aha! I see the difference. You use the 'Insert' function to add your group. I tried it that way and it did work for me. I was using the Group Expert from Report menu. See if that makes a difference for you.

Craig.

Vincent Oorsprong
25-May-2010, 12:03 AM
Craig,

Thanks, I can duplicate this