PDA

View Full Version : Connect to MSSQL

jwilk
4-Apr-2010, 01:24 AM
Hi All

I know its a really dumb question, and I should know the answer, but can someone please enlighten me as to how I can connect to MSSQL with VRW?

All I can get to work is the embedded database. So Obviously I am missing a point somewhere!!

Thanks

Michael Mullan
4-Apr-2010, 07:37 AM
You use ODBC. It should just connect, particularly if you have an existing ODBC connection to your database.

I just tried one here, no problem.

Bob Worsley
4-Apr-2010, 07:42 AM
Hi John, it's not all that intuitive unless you've been through it. Here's how I did it, keeping in mind I'm on XP, if Vista or 7, there might be differences.

1. You need to establish a new DSN for it, so bring up Administrative Tools on your PC and then "Data Sources (ODBC)"
2. Click Add and click on "SQL Server" in the list, click Finish
3. Enter a name, description and select the server
4. Select your authentication, default database & finish the wizard
5. In VRW, go to the Database expert, double click ODBC and you should see the "Name" you entered in step 3 in the data sources, select it and you should be done.

Vincent Oorsprong
4-Apr-2010, 08:50 AM
Bob,

You can, without a File, User or System DSN connect to a MSSQL database via the connection string. Look at your ODBC manager to see what you have to specify as you connection string. On my machine it is:

SERVER=SQLEXPRESS2005;DRIVER={SQL Server};Database=TestDatabase;UID=SQLServerUserTha tIMade;PWD=Secret