PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Problem #3

Michael Mullan
15-Mar-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi,

If I build a report on my development machine, and the customer tries to run it on their workstation, we get a rather ugly STATUS 72, crash and burn error.

Turns out that the runtime/integration does not automatically switch the datasource location for Embedded DB reports. This seems to be a Bad Idea. I expect that a report called from within a VDF program will use the dame Filelist.cfg and DataPath as the application that runs the report, unless the developer expressly forces it not to.

I had to install the VRW eval on the workstation to make it work.

MM.

Vincent Oorsprong
15-Mar-2010, 01:22 PM
Michael,

In RC II you have to enumerate the tables in the report and change the location of your datasource (filelist or open path). For RC III we will add functionality to change the path of subreport datapaths.

I have been thinking of a pbAutoLocateDataFlex files but have not implemented this yet.

Michael Mullan
15-Mar-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd say it is a fairly important feature, particularly if not all workstations are configured exactly alike.

Workstation A may map \\server\vdf15\DasApps to o:\ while Workstation B may be mapped to V:

In fact I can not think of a single occurrence where the normal functioning of a VDF integrated report, uses a filelist & dbdir that are separate from those used by the host application.

Yes, in the stand alone world, "hard coding" the path to the data may be permissible, but from within VDF, it needs to be automatic, unless the developer expressly makes it different.

MM.

Vincent Oorsprong
16-Mar-2010, 01:43 AM
Michael,

Besides subreports this can be currently possible done by yourself. Enumerate the report information and change it when you feel it is needed.

Michael Mullan
16-Mar-2010, 06:24 AM
ah, Vincent, My point was that for reports deployed to a client, it's basically ALWAYS needed. This should be the default behavior for integrated reports.

MM.