PDA

View Full Version : Announcing new DF/VDF programmers

Allan Greis Eriksen
7-Mar-2010, 03:41 PM
Not sure this is the right place for the suggestion but I couldn't find any better ;)

How about announcing new programmers in the newsletter or here in the forum? It would be nice to know if there are any newcommers to the DataFlex family and where they are located in the world.
They should probably be allowed to be anonymous if they wish that. But it could still be a number from each country.
Is that getting too close to DAW and how many DF/VDF licenses they are selling?

Just to follow up we have just lost one but started 3 new. Yehaar!

Hendrik van Niekerk
7-Mar-2010, 05:07 PM
good luck with that!

seanyboy
8-Mar-2010, 04:26 AM
New Dataflex Programmers?
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Peter van Mil
8-Mar-2010, 04:54 AM
At the EDUC in Seefeld I learned that it is much appreciated when you publish a photo in the public profile of this forum. If developers (including me) pay a little more attention to their profile, it will be more easy to see who is doing what.

This seems to me the easiest way. Much easier than asking figures about sales of licenses ;).

Hendrik van Niekerk
8-Mar-2010, 07:44 AM
"O heavy lightness! Serious vanity!
Mis-shapen chaos of well-seeming forms!
Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health!"

The, above, are Oxymoron's.

One can be new, to something, old, just means you ain't done that before. Now that is yet another!

chuckatkinson
8-Mar-2010, 08:54 AM
Yes I can announce a new VDF programmer. He's my son, 28 years old and has been programming since he was 7 (Logo). His background is C/C++, Python, Haskell and a few others I'm sure.

He finally downloaded the latest Personal Edition, started going through the tutorials and was super impressed. He works for a non-profit in Sacramento, CA, USA. At this point he is not sure about pursuing any work related programming with VDF due to licensing concerns (they are a very poor NGO and probably can't afford the license fees).

Mike Cooper
8-Mar-2010, 09:07 AM
Everyday it seems like I am a new VDF programmer!

Might be the memory slipping though... (Thought bubble: Did I already post this?)

M

Bob Worsley
8-Mar-2010, 09:25 AM
At this point he is not sure about pursuing any work related programming with VDF due to licensing concerns (they are a very poor NGO and probably can't afford the license fees).
I seem to remember years ago DAW offered a discount to non profits and schools, not sure if they still do...

Sture
8-Mar-2010, 10:00 AM
During the last 3 years we have hired two new programmers for VDF and we should probably start looking again now.

Jim Albright
8-Mar-2010, 10:50 AM
Wow, Chuck, it is had to believe Nate is now 28! Time flies!

Bob Worsley
8-Mar-2010, 11:29 AM
At the EDUC in Seefeld I learned that it is much appreciated when you publish a photo in the public profile of this forum. If developers (including me) pay a little more attention to their profile, it will be more easy to see who is doing what.

Peter, we aren't all as good looking as you... :D

chuckatkinson
8-Mar-2010, 11:30 AM
Yes time does fly by - and goes supersonic after about age 40 :D

The NGO he works for does clothing collections in the Sacramento area (and other parts of the country/world) to support their global charity work. They don't have a lot of money to support IT. In fact quite a few times I've called him and he's been out on the road in a truck doing pickups instead of working on programming. He's building a GIS based system to monitor and track their collection boxes using Mobile 3G technology. He's very interested in using VDF both on the desktop and on the web, but again unsure they could afford the up front and continuing costs.

Peter van Mil
8-Mar-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, maybe PhotoShop or "CodeJock Skinning" may help...

Bob Worsley
8-Mar-2010, 03:15 PM
Trust me, skinning my photo ain't gonna help...

Vincent Oorsprong
9-Mar-2010, 01:05 AM
Bob,

Now you make us curious...

PS: Don't post that baby photo...

Bob Worsley
9-Mar-2010, 08:40 AM
Curiosity killed the cat...

Peter Brooks
10-Mar-2010, 06:52 AM
Well tell him to download my Membership software - that will give the NGO organisation a feel for VDF stuff. I even have an unlimited license for it. We can do a deal!

Peter Brooks
www.membershipadmin.com.au

Larry R Pint
15-Mar-2010, 02:16 PM
He's building a GIS based system to monitor and track their collection boxes using Mobile 3G technology.

He should talk to Larry Heiges. He wrote a program for route tracking.

chuckatkinson
15-Mar-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks Larry I'll pass it along. And my son and Larry just happen to be in the same neighborhood (I think). My son is in Sacramento CA. And is Larry still in Nevada or Oregon ??? Kinda fuzzy on that one ...

Larry R Pint
15-Mar-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Larry I'll pass it along. And my son and Larry just happen to be in the same neighborhood (I think). My son is in Sacramento CA. And is Larry still in Nevada or Oregon ??? Kinda fuzzy on that one ...

Oregon. Bend area, I believe.

Larry Heiges
17-May-2010, 12:11 AM
Chuck,

Would be glad to help. Powell Butte, OR is about 500 miles north of Sac.

lheiges at app-2-win.com
(541) 410-9436

DaveR
24-May-2010, 12:50 PM
We bought some runtimes for one of our new aquisitions and I've been writing utilities for them to wrap around their POS. When I'm there I share an office with a Maths graduate and Excel superstar. He's been blown away by what I can do with VDF and with SQL.

He came in last Friday and announced he'd downloaded the Personal edition. Over the weekend he went into the office to borrow the 'Discovering VDF' book. He's only been married a year. :) :eek:

Larry Heiges
27-May-2010, 08:54 PM
He's only been married a year. :) :eek:

Maybe he still has some credit in the honeymoon account.

Doesn't work for me... used up that account long ago...