PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Problem #2

ArchieCampbell
3-Mar-2010, 06:52 PM
I "solved" the first problem by installing the entire VRW download on the client workstation.
The VDF 15.1 program with the two .vrw modules now runs.

Problem #2 is both reports have no detail lines.
They preview and export to csv without reporting any errors.
On the preview the heading displays, the body is blank.
The export to csv is a 0 length file.

The two .vrw files are integrated into a VDF15.1 application.
They both run fine on my development machine which has a recent copy of the clients SQL Server 2008 database.

Since there are no errors reported I have no idea where to start tracking this issue.
Thanks
Archie

ArchieCampbell
3-Mar-2010, 07:36 PM
And then, since I had the full developer version installed on the client workstation, I retraced the steps to create the report. It worked. I saved it with the same name as the problem one with no detail.

I then went to the VDF15.1 program where it was integrated and now it runs nicely.
It prints the report detail and produces a .csv file with data in it.

I am confused.

Ulbe Stellema
3-Mar-2010, 08:03 PM
Is the name of the DSN you are using the same on both the development and deployment machine?

ArchieCampbell
5-Mar-2010, 02:07 PM
What DSN?
On both the development and deployment machine we are using the Mertech V10 MS SQL Server driver to SQL Server 2008.

Ulbe Stellema
5-Mar-2010, 02:59 PM
Archie,

So you are using the DF driver (filelist) to access your database? I suggest you consider using the ODBC driver to access your database directly.

Are the paths to the filelist the same on both your development and deployment machines?

ArchieCampbell
9-Mar-2010, 02:07 PM
So you are using the DF driver (filelist) to access your database?
I do not understand what you mean.
I use the Mertech driver to access the SQL Server 2008 database

I suggest you consider using the ODBC driver to access your database directly.
No thank you. I am quite happy with using the Mertech driver.

Are the paths to the filelist the same on both your development and deployment machines?
No. That would be an extremely rare occurence

Bob Worsley
9-Mar-2010, 02:52 PM
I suggest you consider using the ODBC driver to access your database directly.
No thank you. I am quite happy with using the Mertech driver.

Archie, how do you find the speed of loading preview data in the VRW? I'm running SQL Server and the DAW driver, and when I used "DataFlex" to connect, the speed was marginal - 10-15 seconds for 20K records. When I switched to ODBC it went to less than a second. There's another thread on the topic here (http://support.dataaccess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42401).

Since DAW's intent is to eventually provide this product to the non DF market, they've provided a native ODBC connection that doesn't work through the CK and which is much faster than a DF/SQL connection. OTOH I haven't tested VRW with the Mertech driver...

Ulbe Stellema
9-Mar-2010, 03:14 PM
Archie,

There are two sets of drivers; the driver used in your VDF environment (Mertech in your case) and the driver used in VRW (I assume you use the Dataflex driver). I do not suggest you change the driver you use in your VDF environment, I do suggest you consider changing the driver used in VRW.

When you create a new report, you'll notice a couple of items in the left-side treeview (or top left-side treeview when using the Database Expert), if you open a database when the 'Dataflex' item in the treeview is active VRW's Dataflex driver will be used, if the ODBC item is active VRW's ODBC driver will be used, if you use the Repository option is used the driver will be the same as the one used to create the repository item.

If you use the Dataflex driver to create a report based on SQL Server data, VRW will go through the Dataflex database API which in turn uses the Mertech driver to get the data. This process will be slower than using VRW's ODBC driver to get the data from SQL Server directly.

I suggest you create two reports, one using VRW's Dataflex driver and one using the ODBC driver and compare the differences in speed. There are certain situations where you need to use the Dataflex driver; for example when you want to use different database types in a single report without using sub-reports or when you deploy on different database types and do not want to create and maintain different report sets for each back-end. If neither restriction applies you can choose which driver to use and I suggest you use the ODBC driver for it's performance benifits.