PDA

View Full Version : Error 72 and tings

Knut Sparhell
2-Mar-2010, 09:08 AM
Just installed.

I created a report using DataFlex and my filelist.cfg. This points to SQL Server tables. When I try to preview this report it fails with DataFlex embedded driver error 72. Works when integrated into my VDF app, though.

Other issues:

When turning "Snap to grid" or "Sow hidden sections" on or off then all other active windows, including desktop, flicker (blanks out and then is redisplayed). Vista 32 bit.

When using the integration wizard I get a report view, but the option to select putput device never appears. It always prints to printer, unless i manipulate the code to enforce preview.

Could not find any documentation on how to run a report from a webapp.

When selecting fields to the report, trying to add all, using the [>>] button gives an error with array items.

Bob Worsley
2-Mar-2010, 09:51 AM
Just installed.

I created a report using DataFlex and my filelist.cfg. This points to SQL Server tables. When I try to preview this report it fails with DataFlex embedded driver error 72. Works when integrated into my VDF app, though.

I've run the VRW and SQL Server tables from both DataFlex and ODBC and if using RC II, it does work. SQL tables using the filelist is very slow though when compared to running via ODBC so you do want to use ODBC

Could not find any documentation on how to run a report from a webapp.

You need to use the API. It took me a while and a little help but I have it working. If you want I can share some code.

Knut Sparhell
2-Mar-2010, 11:26 AM
I've run the VRW and SQL Server tables from both DataFlex and ODBC and if using RC II, it does work.

This is when using the Report Writer Preview, and not inside your application?

Does VRW use the MSSQL CK to connect to the database when accessed via the filelist and this driver is specified in the .int file? And why is this slower than ODBC?

I certainly does not want to use ODBC for anything. Speed and ease of deploying reports was what I expected from VRW.

Bob Worsley
2-Mar-2010, 03:13 PM
This is when using the Report Writer Preview, and not inside your application?

Yes

Does VRW use the MSSQL CK to connect to the database when accessed via the filelist and this driver is specified in the .int file? And why is this slower than ODBC?

I don't think so, it's got it's own connection code/processes and I have no idea why ODBC is faster, but it is. Loading 20,000 records by filelist in VRW Preview took I think 10 seconds if I remember correctly and with ODBC it was virtually instantaneous. I'm guessing it might be that the ODBC connection is without a CK which sort of makes it "native" so it's quite fast.

I certainly does not want to use ODBC for anything. Speed and ease of deploying reports was what I expected from VRW.
Once you get it working correctly I don't think you will be disappointed.

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Mar-2010, 02:08 AM
Knut,

When you open external databases via the INT file technique, inside Visual DataFlex or inside Visual Report Writer (written in Visual DataFlex) you use the driver that you mention in the INT file. So when that happen to be MSSQLDRV, it is the MSSQLDRV that is used.

For the ODBC route we use ODBC, not one of the connectivity kit we supply with Visual DataFlex.

Knut Sparhell
3-Mar-2010, 03:21 AM
When you open external databases via the INT file technique, inside Visual DataFlex or inside Visual Report Writer (written in Visual DataFlex) you use the driver that you mention in the INT file.

Fine. This is what I expected and want.

Looking at the database location panel I see that the database is defined as the filelist.cfg, using full path to it. But then, how do I tell VRW what data folder to use. Where should it look for the .int files that the filelist.cfg specifies? This seems to be the reason for VRW not to be able to open the tables.

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Mar-2010, 08:45 AM
Knut,

If your filelist is not in the same folder as your datafiles (.DAT/.INT) you have two options:
- Use the individual table selection mechanism
- Change the open path in the set datasource location dialog

These values can also be edited via the integration library (cVisualReport class). Look for TableCount, psTableName etc.

Knut Sparhell
3-Mar-2010, 09:20 AM
The .int files and filelist.cfg are in the same folder. I now understand that VRW assumes this, but this is not assumed by other VDF applications. They look in the DataPath folder, as long as the filelist.cfg paths are relative (no folder path given). Am I right abouts this?

When I have the time later this week I wil dig into the problem and try creating other reports, using other databases. I will hopefully find the problem, and, will report back what went wrong this first time.

Vincent Oorsprong
4-Mar-2010, 01:47 AM
Knut,

You are right, your Visual DataFlex applications uses the paths in the datapath (psDataPath property of the cWorkspace object) but Visual Report Writer does not offer you to select a workspace which means you need to select individual tables or change the path in the set datasource location.