PDA

View Full Version : YAFR - Movabe Functions.

Michael Mullan
1-Mar-2010, 10:43 AM
This is just a feature request, don't hold up the release to implement it!

In a given workspace, there are often functions which are the same across multiple different reports. It would be nice to save functions to a central location, within a workspace, where they could be easily re-used in different reports, things like "City, State Zip"

return (trim({MEMBER.DCITY}) + ", " + trim({MEMBER.DST}) + " " + trim({MEMBER.DZIP}))
or Current Age:

return (DateGetYear(now() - {Member.Birthdate})
Yes I know I can cut and paste them, but this would be easier

Boris
2-Mar-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, a repository of functions where we make a change to a single function and it automatically changes all reports with this function. I waited for ever for that functionality in Crystal, but I think it was implemented in the Enterprise edition (too expensive for such a minor feature).

My two cents.

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Mar-2010, 02:09 AM
Michael,

It has been filed in the list.

Clive Richmond
3-Mar-2010, 02:38 AM
Hi Boris,

Yeah, a repository of functions where we make a change to a single function and it automatically changes all reports with this function. I waited for ever for that functionality in Crystal, but I think it was implemented in the Enterprise edition (too expensive for such a minor feature).

My two cents.

AFAIK Crystal Developer comes with the repository. We've been using it for quite sometime and makes these sort of things a breeze.

Nick
3-Mar-2010, 07:33 AM
For the first version the repository is limited to storing tables and their relationships.

In future versions of VRW the repository will be extended. Making functions available, among multiple developers and eventually end-users, makes the most sense in the Enterprise Edition that is scheduled for future. The general idea there is that you would like to have a security sytem implemented where you can set roles and rights in a granular fashion.

The Enterprise Edition is a longer term project as you can imagine,

Michael Mullan
3-Mar-2010, 08:38 AM
Nick,
I disagree. For me as a single developer I need this to allow me to make a bunch of similar reports for the same customer, in the same workspace.

Sure for the enterprise edition make a public repository, which is open to all users in all workspaces.

Since almost all of the complexity of VRW reporting is encapsulated in functions, the ability to re-use this work is a basic need, not an "enterprise" one

<soapbox mode off>