PDA

View Full Version : Some testing

phvwijk
27-Feb-2010, 02:12 PM
Testing is done on a big live database. 4 Gigs plus size, 2 mil plus records. I have done the same reporting with crystal reports when I had to give answers on the question of users and auditors. So real life testing. Using a Pervasive Local workstation engine. So first time accessing the data does take time.

Selecting ODBC datasource
Not sorted on alphabetic order. I have like 50 of them. Does not make it easier
Report creating Wizard
Fields
When I selected a field I think the focus should move to the next field
Same counts for all other selections to be made
Group
Cannot create a date group on like week month or something like that.
Data filters. Look pretty ugly black line in bottom of the wizard.

When wizard is the field are distributed maybe ok. But the totals are not the same the same size
When moving a field the header of the field is not moving with it. Ok this only came later in CR
When multi clicking field to set them the same size the first selected is the one where the size is taken from. That is consistent with VDF studio but crystal does not. I prefer the crystal way. Because you can make a decision when you are done selecting. Same counts for the vdf studio too for me.
Moving field in the design is fairly random. Moving a total up bring it from the group total field to the group header field. That is maybe logical but using arrow down brings it in the detail line and that is where it stays.
For what ever reason I got 2 field totals twice in the group footer line. This was done by the wizard.
It there a way to setup a default page setup
I used Export. Is there a way to stop the export? It is just giving disk activity and no progress info at all, and no way to cancel . Yes the data was not collected at the moment. And I know it will take a long time to do so. Around 15 minutes
But that is maybe better then CRXI which only exports what has been read and printed. But not when starting from no data then it, request what you in what to export, reads all, you can cancel and see progress information.
I had to use export again to get to the export report dialog
I could close that one twice.
Looks like the export to pdf is working
But no progress info
Also getting error report
Then I get GPF
Ok same report could not reproduce the double totals. Maybe I did them double. But the I should have had double entries in the detail line too.
When the data is read vrw need 546Mb. CrXI needs 84 Mb
Going to the last page in vrw uses 617 Mb. CrXI 84.
How can I remove a group in Vrw? Only in the group export. Expecting like a right mouse click delete group option. Or at least a option Group Expert.
Nice there is undo group delete option. CR does not have that.
Removing the group and print all. Yes I know a useless test. Who wants to print 2 million records. But I kept the detail lines hidden. Takes a very long time stating Reading Report data please wait.
The Progress information is gone. Vrw is still busy but does not display something That is now for 15 minutes. Some more paste. I going to kill the process. Still running at full processor speed.

Peter H. van Wijk
X-Organize Consultancy N.V.

Vincent Oorsprong
28-Feb-2010, 04:13 AM
Peter,

What version did you test with? Probably RC II, I used the upcoming version so some issues have been changed.

Long list;

Selecting ODBC datasource
Not sorted on alphabetic order. I have like 50 of them. Does not make it easier
Logged as wish

Report creating Wizard
Fields
When I selected a field I think the focus should move to the next field
Same counts for all other selections to be made
Double click will add the column to the selected list. But the wish to move the selected item down was registered before.

Group
Cannot create a date group on like week month or something like that.
You cannot do this in the wizard but you can in the report. Create a function that uses Month(date column) and then group on that.

Data filters. Look pretty ugly black line in bottom of the wizard.
Have seen this in a screenshot once but never in real.

When wizard is the field are distributed maybe ok. But the totals are not the same the same size
Seems to only happen when the sum of the width of the columns is wider than the paper width and the detail fields are made less wide to fit. The total will not follow that. Logged as wish.

When moving a field the header of the field is not moving with it. Ok this only came later in CR
We do not want to duplicate Crystal Reports

When multi clicking field to set them the same size the first selected is the one where the size is taken from. That is consistent with VDF studio but crystal does not. I prefer the crystal way. Because you can make a decision when you are done selecting. Same counts for the vdf studio too for me.
We will keep following the Visual DataFlex way

Moving field in the design is fairly random. Moving a total up bring it from the group total field to the group header field. That is maybe logical but using arrow down brings it in the detail line and that is where it stays.
Moving a field with cursor keys is a challenge. Use your mouse in some situations

For what ever reason I got 2 field totals twice in the group footer line. This was done by the wizard.
I cannot reproduce this, can you give more details how to duplicate?

It there a way to setup a default page setup
The default page layout comes from your default printer

I used Export. Is there a way to stop the export? It is just giving disk activity and no progress info at all, and no way to cancel . Yes the data was not collected at the moment. And I know it will take a long time to do so. Around 15 minutes
We took care of this in the upcoming release. There is a progress dialog and you can stop the action too.

I had to use export again to get to the export report dialog
I do not know what you mean, cannot reproduce.

Looks like the export to pdf is working
But no progress info
Also getting error report
Then I get GPF
Does it crash or not and in under what conditions. Please retry soon because we fixed some export problems related to fonts etc.

Ok same report could not reproduce the double totals. Maybe I did them double. But the I should have had double entries in the detail line too.
Why double too in the details then?

When the data is read vrw need 546Mb. CrXI needs 84 Mb
Going to the last page in vrw uses 617 Mb. CrXI 84.
We are not CRW:)

How can I remove a group in Vrw? Only in the group export. Expecting like a right mouse click delete group option. Or at least a option Group Expert.
Changed in the upcoming release

Nice there is undo group delete option. CR does not have that.
:)

Removing the group and print all. Yes I know a useless test. Who wants to print 2 million records. But I kept the detail lines hidden. Takes a very long time stating Reading Report data please wait.
The Progress information is gone. Vrw is still busy but does not display something That is now for 15 minutes. Some more paste. I going to kill the process. Still running at full processor speed.
Nice feature, isn't it?