PDA

View Full Version : Can we have the machine that goes "bing"?

Ola Eldoy
26-Feb-2010, 06:31 AM
Running long compiles occasionally causes me to wander away from my computer.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/compiling.png

What can be used to bring me back to my chair (er... bring myself and the chair back to the computer) when the compiler decides it's had enough already?

I request...

The Machine That Goes Bing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lusXJIfB4ys)
http://www.friendlycurmudgeon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/The_Machine_that_goes_Ping.jpg

No, seriously, some form of audible feedback upon compile completion would definitely be useful. I'd even settle for a Gong or a Beep. But it should be easy to turn on and off!

wila
26-Feb-2010, 07:59 AM
Funny...

Well you can have some of that now if you create a simple batch file which adds the required features (bing, start/end time) and the command line compiler to the tools menu.
It's not as polished as the embedded compiler, but it will give you your missing features right now.

--
Wil

Ola Eldoy
26-Feb-2010, 08:06 AM
That's true, Wil. However, for everyday usage I depend on the integration with VDF Studio, like for example double clicking on a compiler error to let me quickly edit the offending line.

Dennis Piccioni
26-Feb-2010, 10:24 AM
Ok, this makes me curious, how long are your compile times?

Jim Albright
26-Feb-2010, 11:32 AM
It would be nice to have different sounds for successful compile and compile with errors.

My compile time (Total Commands 235351, VDF v15.1 + WinXPpro sp3 + 1gb NIC/network + P4 3.0 mhz, raid 1 disks) = ~ 1:20 min:sec. That is just long enough to get distracted by something else.

Rafael M Heise
26-Feb-2010, 11:47 AM
Well, I think I won't use sounds to know if the compiler threw some error. But to compile my current project I need to wait for almost 10 min, I guess.

Ola Eldoy
26-Feb-2010, 05:14 PM
For a partial test project the compile will often be around one minute, but the Bing feature will come in handy when I have to compile our complete application, which takes almost exactly 10 minutes.

Vincent Oorsprong
27-Feb-2010, 03:52 AM
Ola,

In the BatchCompiler workspace the output tree tells how much time was involved to compile...

Jim Albright
1-Mar-2010, 10:36 AM
almost exactly

That is hitting the nail nearly on the head.

Peter Brooks
1-Mar-2010, 10:11 PM
Ola that gives you plenty of time to go onto this newsgroup or have the sword fight!

Larry R Pint
2-Mar-2010, 02:10 PM
= ~ 1:20 min:sec. That is just long enough to get distracted by something else.

You have a MUCH longer attention span than me. It takes only a few seconds to distract me. :D

Jim Albright
2-Mar-2010, 03:41 PM
You have a MUCH longer attention span than me. It takes only a few seconds to distract me.

What was that you were saying....?

matthewd
2-Mar-2010, 10:13 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one who's thought of this.

Long compile times are not generally too much of an issue on my main desktop computer, but it's quite easy to get distracted and "forget" about a compile that's going when you have a dozen or more windows open and other people bothering you. Especially when I have multiple compiles going at once (which happens daily) in different workspaces, so a different "bing" for each workspace would be nice. A different "bing" if there are errors as opposed to a successful compile would be welcome as well.

seanyboy
3-Mar-2010, 10:33 AM
Filename : testcompile.vbs

Private Function ProcessIsRunning( strProcess )
Dim colProcessList

Set colProcessList = Getobject("Winmgmts:").Execquery _
("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name ='" & strProcess & "'")
If colProcessList.Count > 0 Then
ProcessIsRunning = True
Else
ProcessIsRunning = False
End If

Set colProcessList = Nothing
End Function

Private Sub WaitForProcess( strProcess )

Set StdOut = WScript.StdOut

If ProcessIsRunning(strProcess) Then
StdOut.WriteLine "Waiting for " & strProcess & " to finish."

'If not running silent, create reference to objIntExplorer

Do While ProcessIsRunning(strProcess)
Wscript.Sleep(1000)
Loop
StdOut.WriteLine "Process Finished"

StdOut.WriteLine chr(007)

End If
End Sub

Filename = WScript.Arguments.Item(0)
do while (1=1)
WaitForProcess(Filename)
loop

run it minimised or hidden via a shortcut which contains the following
program : cscript.exe
Parameters : c:\yourfolder\testcompile.vbs dfc.exe

Change the line :
"StdOut.WriteLine chr(007)"
To something that checks for an error file and can play WAV files etc for other beeps.

seanyboy
3-Mar-2010, 11:04 AM
Here's me spending too much time on something.
Anyway - Extract the following file, add it to your startup or just double click it when you want to use it.
You need to log out and log back in again to close it.

Also - Buyer Beware.
I also fixed a bug in this, so make sure you have the right version.

Michael Mullan
5-Mar-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry seanyboy,

that does not meet the customers original speck. That's the machine that SAYS beep. Entirely different case.

Really immensely cool though.

Michael.

David Martinko
7-Mar-2010, 01:29 AM
On my 4 year old XP box, my whole application compile time was 20 minutes. (that's about a dozen SRC's). On my new Vista Virtual Machine, it takes 10 minutes for the same code.

Dennis Piccioni
7-Mar-2010, 01:10 PM
So what hardware is the virtual machine running on, especially compared to the XP version?

David Martinko
8-Mar-2010, 01:11 PM
Dual Quad core Xeon processors running 4GB of ram. The VM's are running on VMWare ESXi, not virtual desktop.

Dennis Piccioni
8-Mar-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm still trying to understand the hardware DIFFERENCE between the XP and Vista VMs. Are you saying they are both on the same hardware?

David Martinko
9-Mar-2010, 09:52 AM
No, my XP is a
Pentium D 1-Dual core
3.0 GHz
2GB of RAM

My Virtual Machine is a
Intel Xeon E5530 2-Quad core processors
2.40 GHz
4GB of RAM

Dennis Piccioni
9-Mar-2010, 09:57 AM
Ok, that makes sense. The XP box sounds similar to one of my processors, which is running AMD's first ever dual core chip, also about 4 years old.