PDA

View Full Version : Code Generation

philby
18-Feb-2010, 06:44 PM
Am I right in assuming that the developer can have native DF source code generated from reports created with VRW ?

Vincent Oorsprong
19-Feb-2010, 03:24 AM
Phil,

The Visual Report Writer reports are not coded reports like WinPrint or VPE, they are stored in a own format and executed via the runtime OCX (VRWAPI.OCX). So, like with Crystal Reports, you have a report view that starts and controls the report but the whole execution is done outside DataFlex code.

Nick
19-Feb-2010, 04:23 AM
Right. If any code generation, it is by the VRW Report Integration Wizard, creating a view to launch a VRW report from your VDF app.

Marco
22-Feb-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi Nick,

But Report documentation is on the list right?
With crystal reports, we can run the report miner to produce documentation. This greatly assists in comparing different versions of a crystal report.

I just purchased 5 VRW developer licences, as I believe in the product. But this feature cannot be implemented quick enough...

I have attached the output of the OrdersByCystomer Crystal report from the order entry sample workspace.

Cheers,
Marco

Michael Mullan
22-Feb-2010, 10:39 PM
it's kind of a pity they don't provide the miner report in XML That would make it much easier to properly document the report wouldn't it.

And if VRW could read such a document well wouldn't that be just peachy!

Michael.

Marco
23-Feb-2010, 02:37 AM
Hi Michael,

I agree that that would be better, but they do also have a MS Access format. I have had thoughts of using this to generat VPE coded reports.

But, lets not get ahead of ourselves, what I really want is to be able to compare two versions of a report of the SAME product. So a VRW report that is in production, and one that one of the developers has modified.

Cheers,
Marco

Nick
24-Feb-2010, 08:32 AM
Marco, very early in the project have we logged a wish from you about a report/database verify function. More specifically a "mass" or batch verify.

Verify was scheduled for release 1.0 but we had to defer to post-release. It is scheduled for the first update after releasing 1.0, as well as providing report definition information.

No details on the technical implementation yet, but buy us a few beers in Seefeld, and we may be willing to listen to your ideas!
Nick