PDA

View Full Version : VRW Design Graduations

Bob Worsley
18-Feb-2010, 09:11 AM
1. On the ruler at the top of the design screen, is there any way to make the graduations smaller? i.e. add more of them? I'm finding it difficult to build a report where I need to cram lots of small fields in close proximity to each other since the edges jump from one ruler graduation to the next.

2. I'm also having a difficult time positioning the header text since it still jumps down to the next line when you first move it, something I've reported before.

Between the above two problems I'm finding it really difficult to build the report I need.

Ulbe Stellema
18-Feb-2010, 10:15 AM
Bob,

There currently is no way to increase the graduations (unless you're willing to work in cm).

Would guidelines help? Click on the horizontal or vertical ruler to create a guideline. When moving fields around they will automatically 'snap' to nearest guide if the field is near a guideline. Other option is to set the grid size (for example to 1/10 inch) and enable to 'show grid' option, also the 'snap to grid' option could help.

Bob Worsley
18-Feb-2010, 10:56 AM
That's what I was looking for, I set the snap-to to 1/10 inch and it does what I want. I didn't ask the question very well. Thanks...

Nick
19-Feb-2010, 04:25 AM
And here's a tip: Guidelines can be removed again by dragging it outside the ruler.

Peter van Mil
24-Sep-2012, 01:25 AM
There currently is no way to increase the graduations (unless you're willing to work in cm).

I would like to work with whole centimeters. Currently I have to work with centimers with 4 decimals. Is this possible somehow?

Would guidelines help? Click on the horizontal or vertical ruler to create a guideline. When moving fields around they will automatically 'snap' to nearest guide if the field is near a guideline. Other option is to set the grid size (for example to 1/10 inch) and enable to 'show grid' option, also the 'snap to grid' option could help.

Last week somebody told me that guidelines can be very useful for more complicated reports. I hardly used Crystal and I am rather new to VRW, so I didn't know that they exist or what they do. Now I try to work with guidelines, but the documentation is extremely limited. In the help of VRW 2.1 you can only find that they exist. In the book "Discovering Visual Report Writer" it is covered how to switch them on and off. That's all.

In one of my reports I can get a field to respect a guideline. Other fields do. I checked the options "Snap to Grid" and "Show guidelines". Why? Maybe a more in depth description of guidelines would help.

JimNC9
24-Sep-2012, 07:20 AM
Peter, File|Options|Grid Size.

Ulbe Stellema
27-Sep-2012, 12:31 AM
- VRW uses a unit called TWIPS (1/1440 inch) internally. This means you can use whole centimeters.
- When moving a field VRW will position the field on the nearest guideline or grid (if snap to grid option is turned on).

In your example, select the field and use the arrow keys to move the field until it's positioned on the guideline.