PDA

View Full Version : Parent record issue

craigkrum
15-Feb-2010, 12:19 PM
I am using the VDF imbedded database and when I create a report that displays data from just a child file things work fine. The results are displayed within seconds in the preview window, even with a file of 52k records. When I also try to display a piece of information from the parent record the report seems to lock up. Task manager shows the report using 50% of the cpu time and up to 100 megabytes of memory. This happens even with a small file of 20 records in the child file and only 2 records in the parent file. The database expert shows the correct connections of fields from the child to parent file, so I'm not sure what the problem might be.

I notice that when I use just the child fields the report shows the record counter down at the bottom of the screen counting through all of the records, but when I include a field from the parent file no record counter appears.

craigkrum
15-Feb-2010, 01:24 PM
Update: I did a test where I created 2 files, one child and one parent. When the child was related to the parent by a single field, the report works fine. I can display data from both records with no problem. When the child is related to the parent by 2 fields, which is the case in my previous post, the report locks up. Is there something I need to be doing in VRW to handle this situation?

Michael Mullan
15-Feb-2010, 02:23 PM
Two things.

1 what are your filters ? Date filters in rcI are a known issue. Use militAry format is the workaround.

2 relationships make sure in Db exprert the detail table relates to the header. I had it backwards. DrY the key field from the detail table to the header.

craigkrum
15-Feb-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm not using any filters. Both key fields are 2 digit numerics. Relationship is from detail to header. Even a single record in the parent file and a single record in the child file causes the issue.

Parent fields: Field1, Field2, Description
Parent Index: Field1, Field2

Child Fields: Field1, Field2, Count, Description
Child Index:Field1, Field2, Count

Relationship is Child-Field1 to Parent-Field1, and Child-Field2 to Parent-Field2

Data: Parent file: 1,1,Parent-1
Data: Child File: 1,1,1,Child-1-1

Workaround: I just tried creating an overlap field in both the parent and child files that covers both key fields of the index and used that field to link them in VRW. The report now works fine, but is this the way it is supposed to work?

Michael Mullan
15-Feb-2010, 04:13 PM
Ah! that is probably it. Multi field indexes/relationships are supported in the Embedded DB, but may not have been tested for RC1 I suggest you log this with an email to support@dataaccess.eu

MM.