PDA

View Full Version : Loading Data

Bob Worsley
4-Feb-2010, 09:42 AM
I posted a concern to DAW Support about the loading of data - I have some 20K records in my SQL Server database and after building a small test report clicked refresh data in the menu. I ended up waiting over 5 minutes while the report laborously loaded data. I then went to the group expert and again waited the same 5+ minutes while the data refreshed. I then went back to the preview screen and again waited for the same 5+ minutes...

I'm on XP/SP3, single non networked, fairly fast development box and designing this report is almost impossible. I tried clicking the "Stop" button but that results in no data showing. I'd have expected the data retrieved to that point to show.

I see the release candidate is available. Am I missing something here? Have others experienced the same thing?

Vincent Oorsprong
4-Feb-2010, 03:44 PM
Bob,

I think we need more information - preferable a report and a test database - to see if we can duplicate the reported problem. Could you make such a thing and after zip it up send to support?

Bob Worsley
4-Feb-2010, 04:15 PM
You want my SQL Server database? I can provide it but it's kind of big...

Vincent Oorsprong
5-Feb-2010, 01:03 AM
Bob,

Don't need your full SQL server database but we need something to find out what is going on.

I would say 20,000 rows in a table is not extremely large. So reading data from that should be no problem. Returning 20,000 rows is different I think because this might be 4000 pages in a report which is quite large. You will never print such a thing. And I so your paper salesperson will be very happy with you... (certainly when you print these reports regularly).

Nick
5-Feb-2010, 03:56 AM
Vincent is in Copenhagen all week, training new VDF folks, so he missed a VRW meeting in which this issue was discussed. We're looking into it Bob, may contact you on it.

I believe we were also to contact you about connecting to standard tables, can you confirm that you have no more problems with that?

Hm, I see two more fixes related to tickets reported by you, having a "testing"status. We contact you,
Nick

Bob Worsley
5-Feb-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Nick, Yes, the standard table issue seems to be fixed though I haven't done exhaustive testing since I then ran into the data populating issue which slowed me down considerably, no pun intended. :D

Bob Worsley
7-Feb-2010, 10:24 PM
It turns out that there were a couple of bugs in VRW and Ulbe worked a part of the weekend with me to get them sorted out - very dedicated. It's looking like it will be a very nice product indeed.

I asked whether VRW reports would run from a WebApp and was told that it was theoretically possible but the question couldn't be immediately answered. I'm hoping that the answer will be yes, that would be an excellent feature.

craigkrum
15-Feb-2010, 06:14 PM
I am noticing a similar problem with a report I am working on using the embedded database. I have a large parent file (50k recs) and a child file that is related to it with a 6 digit numeric key. With only 1 record in the child file it takes approx 3 secs to display the one line report. With 2 records it takes 6 secs. 3 takes 9 secs, etc. Is it possible that a look up on an indexed parent file can take this long? Printing a report with 1000 records will take approx. 1 hour at that rate (and yes, I did test it with 1000 records but killed the task after 20 minutes). The child is linked properly to the parent in VRW and I am not using any filters.

Printing just the data from the child file without using any fields from the parent file in the report is nearly instant, even with the 1000 records.

Is there some place you need to define the indexes to use for parent table lookups? I assumed that VRW would automatically choose the best index based on the linked fields.

Vincent Oorsprong
16-Feb-2010, 01:05 AM
Craig,

Could you please retry with the upcoming RC II? We have made performance changes.