PDA

View Full Version : How will the Licencing Work?

jwilk
31-Jan-2010, 05:02 AM
Hi

Still looking at the possibilites of using VRW instead of Crystal.

The client wants the ability to make changes to the reports themselves. Does this mean they will have to purchase their own copy of VRW, (when its available), or VRW and VDF Development?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
31-Jan-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi John,

It depends a bit on what the wished changes are. You, as a developer have the API to integrate reports in your Visual DataFlex apps. This way you can offer some level of flexibility (change) to the end-user. For example data source location, selection criteria, etc. The functionality of the API is something that will expand in future. (and suggestions are always welcome).

If it cannot be done in the API, one needs a Visual Report Writer license to change reports. The first version that will be released is going to be the "Developer Edition", scheduled in March. It supports integration in VDF apps, the API and more. Distribution of embedded reports is royalty-free, if you use the Developer Edition.

After that release, the "Standard Edition" will follow. Pretty much the same as the Developer Edition, but not capable of report integration. And it will be cheaper than the Developer Edition. For developers that want to deploy VRW to all their end-users, special volume-price licensing (OEM) can be made.

Hope this helps,
Nick

PS Am I allowed in this forum to point you to a special promo that starts on February 1st? Yes, that is tomorrow! :-)

Peter Crook
31-Jan-2010, 09:56 AM
Will there be a Personal Edition for users of the VDF Personal Edition? I should like to have a look at the RC but don't wan't to spend time developing reports that I then have to abandon because I'd have to pay to change them:D.

jwilk
31-Jan-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi Nick

Ok, thanks sounds good.

How can I find out about the special promo that starts in the 1st?

Nick
31-Jan-2010, 06:01 PM
Look at www.dataaccess.eu/vrwpromo,
Nick

DavePorter
31-Jan-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks Nick,

Once a Developer License is purchased, what are the ongoing commitments ?
( ie, annual renewal similar to VDF Client licenses for example ? )

TIA, Dave Porter

Nick
1-Feb-2010, 04:06 AM
Hi Dave,
you are correct. Upon purchase, a one-year maintenance is included. You are entitled to all updates within a year. Then there is the option, to extend the maintenance every year. The annual renewal fee is like VDF, 25%. We are comitted and hope you are too, but for you it's optional <g>
Nick

Peter Crook
1-Feb-2010, 11:51 AM
Will there be a Personal Edition for users of the VDF Personal Edition? I should like to have a look at the RC but don't wan't to spend time developing reports that I then have to abandon because I'd have to pay to change them:D.

Nick
1-Feb-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi Peter, sorry but there are no plans for a Personal Edition. If you pre-order your license in January however, a special discount applies. Contact your channel partner in the UK for more details,
Nick

Michael Mullan
1-Feb-2010, 04:13 PM
It's a bit late to be offering him a January Discount Nick!

MM.

Nick
1-Feb-2010, 05:53 PM
late for January... or very early?

But you're right, the special offer is for February, March and April. 2010! ;-)

Peter Crook
30-Mar-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Peter, sorry but there are no plans for a Personal Edition. If you pre-order your license in January however, a special discount applies. Contact your channel partner in the UK for more details,
Nick
Hi Nick

That's a shame. It seems DAW gets quite a good return from its Personal Edition of VDF seeing how many entries in the 'What's New' are credited to Personal Edition users.