PDA

View Full Version : Can VRW Do This

jwilk
25-Jan-2010, 02:00 AM
Hi

We have a job from a long time user of VDF, to re-write their labelling software.

Basically the current software is using Winprint, in a heavily modified state, with some high specification label printers.

An animal goes down the line, and is weighed and graded, the printer spits out a label with a barcode, and text, the text may be in one of a number of languages, (Chinese, English, German, French at present).

A label is produced at least once every 30 seconds, and often every 15 seconds.

The user wants the ability to modify the label themselves instead of having to wait for us to do it, as changes can be needed with virtually no notice.

What we have been advised to use is Crystal, (supply them a copy too), however if VRW can handle this we would greatly prefer it to Crystal.

Hence our questions are:

1. Is VRW likely to be able to handle this?
2. How far away is a release of VRW likely to be?

We will hold of purchasing Crystal while we wait for a response from the DAW Team.

Thanks

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Jan-2010, 09:19 AM
John,

Visual Report Writer does not have a label across function and barcode support but why don't you make a test report, intergrate with a VDF application and see if does what you had in mind.

We always have to be very careful making any promises on release-dates. We are about to publish Release Candidate I (hopefully this week) which will be followed by RCII and then release v1.0. It all depends on what people find in the last phases of development.

jwilk
26-Jan-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Vincent

I realise you have to be very careful with release dates as whatever you say it will be expected!!!!

But equally we have to be very careful as the client is wanting the project done urgently.

Watching this newsgroups either theres not much interest in the product, or theres very few problems. I suspect from what I have heard theres very few problems showing up?

I think our best thing to do is to trial some things, then see what issues come up from the next version.

Good luck

Vincent Oorsprong
27-Jan-2010, 01:18 AM
John,

The is a lot of interest in the product. We have received lots of input since the alpha I release via the support account and processed them.

jwilk
27-Jan-2010, 01:45 AM
Hi Vincent, Thanks for confirming that. It was the impression I had too. In that case it certainly gives me confidence what you are doing is going well as I see very few real issues going through on the newsgroup.

We will get the latest copy and have another look at it.

Roel Westhoff [W4]
7-Feb-2010, 04:06 AM
Hello John,

We use professional label printers in our systems.
SATO printers if i can remember correctly.

It is while back but i we didn't need any extra software to print these labels.
SATO delivered some software that did the layout of the printed labels. It generated a PRT-file. The only thing we had to was replacing specific strings on the basis of selections made. After replacing the strings the whole file was forwarded to the printer. We print in average of 2000 labels a day.

Hope this gives you an alternative.

BTW we will end our investments in Crystal in the near future and go for VRW. The product is basic but the potential is there.

Roel Westhoff
W4 Software & Consultancy BV
Valkenswaard Netherlands
w: www.w4sc.nl (http://www.w4sc.nl)
e: roel.westhoff@w4sc.nl

Brigitte
10-Feb-2010, 11:30 AM
John,

I print barcode with CRXI and the software from azalea (www.azalea.com (http://www.azalea.com)). With this software you can select the barcode as a font.
Today I have installed VRW RCI for the first time and I'm happy to see, that this works also fine.:)

Brigitte