PDA

View Full Version : Windows7

Paolo Bruno
7-Dec-2009, 09:12 AM
In January we have to release a new version of our product. So we now did check for windows7 compatibility. Having looked at the supported product list, we saw that we cannot find any information about windows7 (it might be that we did not look in the right place). We also discovered that windows xp sp3 is not listed as supported in any version.

As the product is distributed to the public without any fees, it is very likely to encounter some windows7 installation, right?

So what is the current state of windows7 support? What are the risks deploying a VDF14.0 runtime on windows7? Is a working setup for Vista enough to ensure a working Windows7 setup?

Please note: We are only interested in the deployment. The development is still done in XP (with SP3 though).

Thanks alot for any reply
Paolo

Clive Richmond
7-Dec-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Paolo,

We also discovered that windows xp sp3 is not listed as supported in any version.

The Installation and Environment Guide Visual DataFlex 2009 – 15.1 lists the above operating system as (SP2 or higher). The full client list is below. While there is no explicit mention of Windows 7 I'm sure that it's not that much different from Vista. Certainly we haven't come across any problems on this platform running either VDF 15.0 or VDF 15.1 RC1.

Client Engine
Windows Server 2008 (including x64), Windows Vista (Home Premium or higher, including x64), Windows Server 2003, Windows XP (SP 2 or higher) or Windows 2000 (SP 4).

Paolo Bruno
7-Dec-2009, 11:40 AM
Clive

The Installation and Environment Guide Visual DataFlex 2009 – 15.1 lists the above across Took me some time to find the mentioned document. Did search in the help-system where it was even referenced until I had the great idea to search for it in the studio install folder where it can be found in the documents folder :mad:.

So at least you did successfully deploy on some windows7 machines, right?

Thanks, Paolo

Peter van Mil
7-Dec-2009, 11:47 AM
Paolo,

I have running some machines with VDF 14.0 / 15.0 and Windows 7. This isn't supported. Nobody will guarantee, that VDF 14.0 on Windows 7 will run. I don't expect real problems, but that's all I can say. If you really want to be sure, you have to upgrade to 15.1 before january. This might be a good idea after all.

Clive Richmond
7-Dec-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Paolo,

Took me some time to find the mentioned document.

Oops. :o I should have probably mentioned where the document was located. A link to this document, either on disk or to DAWs website, would be helpful. And perhaps the best section in the online help would under the Visual DataFlex Specifications.

So at least you did successfully deploy on some windows7 machines, right?

Only development at this time.

Paolo Bruno
8-Dec-2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks Peter

Well I just installed 15.1 RC and looked for some hints about any windows7 compatibility - but nope. For me it's unclear if 15.1 will be supported under windows7.

Tests with our product with VDF14.0 under windows7 in a VM ran fine. But with no support from DAW I do not think we will release our product for windows7.

Regards, Paolo

Peter van Mil
8-Dec-2009, 06:40 AM
Sorry, I didn't read the documentation good enough. I was expecting blindly that Windows 7 is supported.

Stephen W. Meeley
8-Dec-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Paolo,

Oops. :o I should have probably mentioned where the document was located. A link to this document, either on disk or to DAWs website, would be helpful. And perhaps the best section in the online help would under the Visual DataFlex Specifications.

Only development at this time.
Just FYI - the Installation and Environment Guide has a link on the very first dialog in the installation and has a link in the Start Menu under Documentation (along with a number of other documents).

Clive Richmond
8-Dec-2009, 09:46 PM
Just FYI - the Installation and Environment Guide has a link on the very first dialog in the installation and has a link in the Start Menu under Documentation (along with a number of other documents).

Thanks Stephen. I launch the studio via a desktop icon and when you're first stop is the on-line help you tend to forget that other things exist on the Start Menu :)

I still think having the Start Menu documents linked in with the on-line help would be good idea. The Welcome to Visual DataFlex 2009 Studio would be a more appropriate section since the existing list could be extended. I notice that this section already has a link to the Quick Start guide. Although the document link points to the wrong document. (http://support.dataaccess.com/forums/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=41796)

Marco
8-Dec-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi Guys,

We have an internal APP, that on Windows 7 crashes the system.
It is within a add_focus procedure of a ModalPanel object, calling the close_Panel.

Perhaps not the nicest code, but it crashes on Win7 while it works on XP.

Cheers,
Marco

Vincent Oorsprong
9-Dec-2009, 12:13 AM
Marco.

Can you make a small demonstration program so that we can test and can see what is going on?

Also:
- Which VDF version is this?
- Is it plain VDF or are other components (like COM) in use too?

Fred
11-Dec-2009, 10:04 AM
Our application (VDF15) is running on some Windows7 Workstations (64 bit) in a network environment. We did not want it yet but customers buyed this !

It seems all is running so far with the VDF application BUT some things are very very slow !? But I think this are all third party compatibility problems (driver 64 bit, ...) or Windows7 ifself like auto-tuning, RDC, network printer, etc...

Has someone found informations on extremly slow down problems with Windows7 PC used as workstations with a Win2003 or 2008 Server ?

Thanks and regards,

Fred THOMAS

Martin
15-Dec-2009, 04:40 AM
Hi,
Window 7 is designed to work with Windows 2008 R2 Server, If your not using this version you may need apply the correct patches for the server your running in-order to allow Windows 7 to work correctly. Same applies to Vista when conecting a Windows 2003 server.

philby
16-Feb-2010, 05:13 PM
Can we have some timeframe indication from DAW please ? We are also now faced with customers purchasing new machines, and the never ending cycle of compatibility issues with new Windows versions.

Stephen W. Meeley
16-Feb-2010, 08:32 PM
Can we have some timeframe indication from DAW please ? We are also now faced with customers purchasing new machines, and the never ending cycle of compatibility issues with new Windows versions.
Phil,

Here is our statement about Windows 7:

http://www.dataaccess.com/news.asp?pageid=1535

We are in the process of testing 15.1 and will publish our results (in the context of the published statement) as soon as the testing is complete. Our goal is to have that testing done by the start of EDUC.