PDA

View Full Version : DDClassList not updates when moving filelist entries

Anders Ohrt
1-Dec-2009, 04:22 AM
I moved a few tables in the filelist, and noticed that the DDClassList did not change to reflect this. It still contained the old table number.

I also see that DDClassList now is indented with whitespace so it's humanly readable, thanks for that! Now I can see what has changed so I don't just check in changes blindly like before. =)

Dennis Piccioni
1-Dec-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Anders,

did you move them using Database Builder or the Studio?

Anders Ohrt
1-Dec-2009, 10:45 AM
did you move them using Database Builder or the Studio?

The builder. It's really hard to migrate from it, but I am trying (not very hard though :)).

Dennis Piccioni
1-Dec-2009, 11:24 AM
That would explain it -- Database Builder has no knowledge of DDClassList.xml.

You can use the Studio's Table Explorer to do this via Remove Table and Add Existing Table and then Add Existing Data Dictionary from the context menu to update this list.

Garret Mott
1-Dec-2009, 08:34 PM

You can use the Studio's Table Explorer to do this via Remove Table and Add Existing Table and then Add Existing Data Dictionary from the context menu to update this list.

Instead of Filelist, move, click, enter new #, check 3 checkboxes. Which moves the file & redoes relates, produces an FD & (even more) a DEF.

Sorry, Dennis, but it's far easier to move a table in DBBuilder & additionally, AFAIK it's the only place to output a def.

My (unasked for) 1.9 cents....

Anders Ohrt
2-Dec-2009, 03:48 AM

I understand this, and it's very rare for us to move files, but should not something in the studio update the DDClassList when it's wrong? Or is this a Don't Do That scenario?

Vincent Oorsprong
2-Dec-2009, 05:09 AM
Anders,

There is a maintenance option in the Studio to recreate the DDClassList. Go to tools|Data Dictionary Maintenance.

Anders Ohrt
2-Dec-2009, 05:39 AM
There is a maintenance option in the Studio to recreate the DDClassList. Go to tools|Data Dictionary Maintenance.

I know how _I_ can fix this, I was just thinking that this should be detected and fixed automatically by the studio.

Dennis Piccioni
2-Dec-2009, 10:55 AM
It sounds like it would introduce a lot of overhead for the Studio to constantly check for errors like this when there is a way to do it in the Studio that does it right.

Dennis Piccioni
2-Dec-2009, 11:05 AM
Well, a few more clicks for an operation I've performed maybe 3 times in the lat 15 years...

Peter van Mil
2-Dec-2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe you can add a warning (little overhead) in DatabaseBuilder. If you just know it, it is not a big task to recreate the DDClassList in the Studio.

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Dec-2009, 12:16 AM
Peter,

While I like that kind of things too I wonder if it helps. Why? There are so many things that can be/go wrong with this kind of operations that the list of warnings can be huge and overlooked by us or the developer. I think it is better if the developer knows what he/she is doing and what needs to be done after such an operation.

Anders Ohrt
3-Dec-2009, 02:44 AM
It sounds like it would introduce a lot of overhead for the Studio to constantly check for errors like this when there is a way to do it in the Studio that does it right.

It's already checking thousands of files when opening a workspace, and it knows and warns you when the filelist is changed while the studio is open. So I don't think it would be much overhead, but I agree it's not a very common operation so it's not really important.

Basically, I was wondering if this was by design, an intentional oversight, or an unintentional oversight.

Garret Mott
6-Dec-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, a few more clicks for an operation I've performed maybe 3 times in the lat 15 years...

When one adds an ODBC table to the filelist, it gets added in the first open slot. I like them all together.

In the last 2 weeks I've moved tables probably 25 times....:eek:

Anders Ohrt
7-Dec-2009, 03:03 AM
When one adds an ODBC table to the filelist, it gets added in the first open slot. I like them all together.

We did this initially, but found we never benefit from knowing the number. The only reason to care about the numbers is when there is a list of tables that are sorted by number (like the add relationship drop down in DBB). We now just don't care about the order and it's very rarely affects us. Better to make sure those places that does list all tables can be sorted by logical name (and description).

Peter Crook
7-Dec-2009, 06:28 AM
No ODBC tables, but plenty of moves recently.

Garret Mott
7-Dec-2009, 08:39 AM
We did this initially, but found we never benefit from knowing the number. The only reason to care about the numbers is when there is a list of tables that are sorted by number (like the add relationship drop down in DBB). We now just don't care about the order and it's very rarely affects us. Better to make sure those places that does list all tables can be sorted by logical name (and description).

Hi Anders -

You are correct that sorting them can make a difference. Maybe it's just old habits, but these were all temporary tables (used only for importing data from an old system) & not having them in the mix just made sense to me. As much sense as I ever have...;)

Dennis Piccioni
7-Dec-2009, 10:07 AM
See, we're just helping you break old habits with negative reinforcement! ;):p

Garret Mott
7-Dec-2009, 01:41 PM
See, we're just helping you break old habits with negative reinforcement! ;):p

But I like my old habits! Plus, negative reinforcement works so well with me.....;)