PDA

View Full Version : 15.0 to 15.1 migration question

danwalsh46
31-Oct-2009, 02:17 PM
After reading what's new, I get the sense that the migration wizard isn't going to do anything but edit the .SWS file unless I choose to migrate to a new folder. I can't see where any code is going to be modified as happened in earlier migrations.

Am I missing anything?

Bob Cergol
2-Nov-2009, 08:09 AM
Dan,

I migrated from 15.0 to 15.1 "in place". None of the source files were updated in either appsrc or ddsrc.

Bob

Stephen W. Meeley
2-Nov-2009, 10:14 AM
After reading what's new, I get the sense that the migration wizard isn't going to do anything but edit the .SWS file unless I choose to migrate to a new folder. I can't see where any code is going to be modified as happened in earlier migrations.

Am I missing anything?
Dan,

That's it. This ultra-light migration impact is why we were strongly considering an in-place update, but as mentioned in the 15.1 presentation we did at DISD the potential for some incompatibilities with the msxml update made us keep the traditional side-by-side model. This is what we said in the presentation:

Add Schema Validation Support

Requires us to update to MSXML 6
Validate any XML document against a schema.

Automatic - where the XML document points to the schema
Manual - where you assign the schema for validation.

No code impact unless you are applying XSL transformations to your XML data (Microsoft changed the rules).

We support a mode where a project can use the either old or the new parser. You would only use the old parser if there are compatibility issues that you do not want to address right now.

This is the feature that made us decide to do a side by side update.
Note: This is one of the changes (also Web Service Client changes) we are making to better accommodate HL7. We expect to be doing more of this in the future.