PDA

View Full Version : Pony Request - Different Icons on different versions.

seanyboy
22-Oct-2009, 11:41 AM
Now I'm running Win7, it's quite hard to tell which version of VDF is which. (See screenshot)
Especially if I pin the IDE to my taskbar.
Can future versions of VDF have the version number embedded in the Icon?

Mark Powers
23-Oct-2009, 09:12 AM
Cool Idea!

Mark Rutherford
23-Oct-2009, 11:12 AM
I have been running Windows 7 and I have resorted to hovering the mouse over them and waiting for the tooltip and I sort of accepted that as the 'way it is' - but another icon is a better idea.

Vincent Oorsprong
23-Oct-2009, 11:25 AM
Mark, Sean,

Can't you as in Vista and before select a different icon for the shortcut yourself?

Michael Mullan
23-Oct-2009, 12:54 PM
On XP at least changing the Icon for the shortcut does not change the Icon used inthe toolbar when the application (studio) is running.

I think we want the icon to change ONLY on the studio, not as the default for runtime/client type items.

Vincent Oorsprong
24-Oct-2009, 03:11 AM
Ok, I misunderstood it. I thought Seany wanted to have different icons for the quick launch strip or the desktop but it is something else. I have no Windows 7 experience.

Jake Moffatt
4-Nov-2009, 01:13 PM
You can do as I've done in the past and take matters into your own hands....

Enter IcoFX, a small (EXTREMELY) useful utility that is there to edit icons.

You can actually modify the Icon resource inside an EXE, so if you really want this feature and you want it now, you can make it happen.

Additionally, if you use AutoHotkey, as I do, you can write a script that will modify the icon of the window (therefore the icon of the taskbar and ALT+TAB screen) at runtime, just follow the instructions inside this forum post:

http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137965#137965