PDA

View Full Version : CDO-support

Roel Westhoff [W4]
16-Sep-2009, 10:11 AM
Hello DAC,

Is CDO-support planned for the near future. Getting more and more cross about the CR solution in combination with memory use. Would like to start using VFReportwrit

Roel

Clive Richmond
16-Sep-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Roel,

;197839'] Is CDO-support planned for the near future. Getting more and more cross about the CR solution in combination with memory use. Would like to start using VFReportwrit

I'd be interested to know more? DataFlex / SQL, 8.5 or IX? We are using CR IX's CDO & the RDC quite a bit now and, apart from linking tables for which we a workaround, it is working well.

Roel Westhoff [W4]
16-Sep-2009, 10:58 AM
Hello Clive,

I've been using CDO for years now. But with our recent reports we are encountering lots of trouble (CRXI+VDF15) - PSQL. The data we are generating from our system into a 270 column CDO-TTX (several thousand records) brings our app down in speed.

Problems
- After generating the data into a vData, processing it into a report takes almost a minute (no action on the screen). I've put several showln DateTime lines of code in our report and cCrystal.pkg and after the AppendCDOData procedure our app just 'waits/processes' something (after the appendCDOData the debugger goes directly to the startreport procedure)
- Generating information in the vData array for a second time without closing our app slows our LoadData procedure with a factor 5. Resetting the vData Array does not have any influence
I can not see a reason why this should happen.

PS the 270-column is already a minimum. it is a pig of invoicing-report.
Roel

Michael Mullan
16-Sep-2009, 11:24 AM
I'd wager that your 270 column report could be pre-processed more, to create a smaller report that the users actually want.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you ask the end users of this report what data they ACTUALLY READ in the report.

I've had a couple of cases where there was a monster report, that took ages to print, but the users only actually used 10 numbers off the last page, and the rest of it was just thrown away. In another case a secretary was typing in 30 or so numbers into a spreadsheet, to give to her boss.

my 2c

Michael.

Clive Richmond
16-Sep-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Roel,

;197849']I've been using CDO for years now. But with our recent reports we are encountering lots of trouble (CRXI+VDF15) - PSQL. The data we are generating from our system into a 270 column CDO-TTX (several thousand records) brings our app down in speed.

Problems
- After generating the data into a vData, processing it into a report takes almost a minute (no action on the screen). I've put several showln DateTime lines of code in our report and cCrystal.pkg and after the AppendCDOData procedure our app just 'waits/processes' something (after the appendCDOData the debugger goes directly to the startreport procedure)
- Generating information in the vData array for a second time without closing our app slows our LoadData procedure with a factor 5. Resetting the vData Array does not have any influence
I can not see a reason why this should happen.

PS the 270-column is already a minimum. it is a pig of invoicing-report.
Roel

Wow that's a lot columns. I wouldn't be surprised if this is where CDO is struggling.

Have you considered splitting the CDO into 5 CDOs x 54 columns and linking them together in the report? Also since you are using an SQL backend you might even be able to use a stored procedure to handle this?

Nick
17-Sep-2009, 05:09 PM
Roel,
A Runtime Data Source (RDS) feature is scheduled to be released _after_ V 1.0 release.
Nick