PDA

View Full Version : Namespaces in VDF, please?

Ola Eldoy
21-Aug-2009, 04:04 AM
I applaud the added support for libraries in VDF! :D Now can we please have namespace support?

Why?

As we will (probably) increasingly be using third party libraries, the potential for name clash problems increases as well. Granted, there are ways of solving these issues, but it is one of those things that can really irk you. When every global identifier (classes, struct definitions, constants, etc.) has to be prefixed <your_company> or <your_product> it also affects readability.

In my opinion, the lack of namespaces in VDF is a real handicap, and one I hope will be addressed in due time.

Ola Eldoy
16-Sep-2009, 08:54 AM
Just a thought... What would it be like if:

VDF libraries became "VDF namespaces"?

It's probably going to be a tough one to implement, but IMHO it would be a nice way of solving the problem in question.

Jake Moffatt
22-Sep-2009, 04:38 PM
I just posted a question prompted by this very issue. I wanted to prefix my library or "namespace" classes and constants with a name followed by the '.', and then the class name like so:

Class Library.SomeClass is a Library.BaseClass

But I was told by 3 DAWs that its a bad idea.

So...

I vote yes on Namespace support.

Jake Moffatt
28-Dec-2009, 07:14 PM
I just had a thought about this again after using the code complete features in 15.1 which are way superior to 12.1 - with Namespace support our code-complete would be able to 'divide-and-conquer' that much easier since we can constrain the code complete to only methods/variables in a specific namespace.

That's not a compelling reason to add namespace support, I know, but it does add to the list of reasons.