PDA

View Full Version : Are animated GIF files supported?

Nils G. Svedmyr
31-Jul-2009, 04:30 AM
Vincent,

Can animated GIF files be used? If not - are there any plans to support it in the future?

Best Regards,
Nils G. Svedmyr

Vincent Oorsprong
31-Jul-2009, 09:34 AM
Nils,

GDI+ does not have direct support of animated GIFs. That does not mean we can not make support for it. We will put it on the list but we doubt if it will be used a lot.

Garret Mott
31-Jul-2009, 10:26 AM
We will put it on the list but we doubt if it will be used a lot.

Hi Vincent -

I beg to differ. I can see many uses for animated gifs & I, for one, would definitely use them. IMO, they could be a useful part of providing visual cues to the user: copying/deleting/transferring records for example.

I can't tell you how many users "know" copying is going on in Windows because the paper is flying from one folder to another (& this is the only way they know to tell something is happening)...

My 2 cents (but apply your own valuation to its worth :D)

Nils G. Svedmyr
31-Jul-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Vincent,

I tend to agree with Garret that ti would be a great addition.

- Nils G.

Vincent Oorsprong
31-Jul-2009, 01:34 PM
Garret,

You can do this already with cAnimation and the AVI files are installed with your VDF version.

Garret Mott
31-Jul-2009, 01:52 PM
Garret,

You can do this already with cAnimation and the AVI files are installed with your VDF version.

Hi Vincent -

I do know In can do that - I was simply using it as an example.

It's just that the Graphics Library displays graphics so much more clearly than stock VDF controls (and has other benefits), I'd rather switch to 100% Graphics Library usage.

Thanks,

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Aug-2009, 09:44 AM
Nils, Others,

Support for animated GIFs turned out to be not a big job. Not 100% done yet but the enclosed video demonstrates what we have so far.

As usual the last 20% takes 80% of the time so do not expect the release by dawn tomorrow!

Garret Mott
3-Aug-2009, 09:51 AM
Nils, Others,

Support for animated GIFs turned out to be not a big job. Not 100% done yet but the enclosed video demonstrates what we have so far.

As usual the last 20% takes 80% of the time so do not expect the release by dawn tomorrow!

Must be breezy in your office! ;)

Thanks for this Vincent - but I always thought it was "When you're 99% done, you still have 99% to do".... I guess you're faster than I am.

Mark Powers
3-Aug-2009, 10:28 AM
That looks pretty good Vincent!
Mark

Vincent Oorsprong
4-Aug-2009, 01:12 PM
Implemented the last 20% of the animated GIFs support.

Nils G. Svedmyr
4-Aug-2009, 03:54 PM
Fantastic Vincent!

But you were a bit slow - it took you about three days to implement :D:D:D

Seriously though, very well done Vincent.

Would the last 20% include making it work for the cWsDbImageContainer class?

- Nils G.

Clive Richmond
7-Aug-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi Vincent,

Implemented the last 20% of the animated GIFs support.

Now you've got tool tips and animated gifs out the way, how about moving onto to embedded resources? :)

I also noticed that the class is based on DfBaseControl and not DfBaseContainer which precludes the use of drag-n-drop (pbAcceptDropFiles). :(

Vincent Oorsprong
7-Aug-2009, 01:53 PM
Clive,

While embedded resources is on the list we do not see the usage very high because you can only embed bitmaps and icons in the VDF executables. And for these two format dbBitmap will do.

Bob Worsley
7-Aug-2009, 01:57 PM
Clive,

While embedded resources is on the list we do not see the usage very high because you can only embed bitmaps and icons in the VDF executables. And for these two format dbBitmap will do.
But you said that about animated gif files: "we doubt if it will be used a lot." and look what happened! :D

Garret Mott
7-Aug-2009, 02:25 PM
But you said that about animated gif files: "we doubt if it will be used a lot." and look what happened! :D

You're a cruel man, Bob... ;)

Vincent Oorsprong
7-Aug-2009, 02:31 PM
Garret,

You are so right!

Happy weekend!

Vincent Oorsprong
7-Aug-2009, 02:33 PM
Bob,

I still don't think animated GIFs will be used a lot... but it turned out to be a challenge and quite easily to implement, certainly compared to all the other work I did to the library this week. That <beep> 20% and still not finished for release.

Bob Worsley
7-Aug-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry Vincent, could't resist. :rolleyes: