PDA

View Full Version : Speed issues

Chris Spencer
27-Jun-2009, 07:30 AM
Loading the Australian postcode data table (15000 rows) consisting of 4 columns
ID Town State MailCode takes about 30 seconds.

In a real world app I can see situations where more rows may be required for management drill downs etc and this speed would become unacceptable

I note that the CJ forum refers to virual lists.

Has anyone has done that may speed up the loadtime in the class code.
(No bad reflections here on the code writers BTW)

Clive Richmond
29-Jun-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi Chris,

Loading the Australian postcode data table (15000 rows) consisting of 4 columns
ID Town State MailCode takes about 30 seconds.

In a real world app I can see situations where more rows may be required for management drill downs etc and this speed would become unacceptable

This hasn't been our experience. Similar table viz Australian Postcodes (16,642 rows, record length = 170 bytes), loading and displaying 4 columns (locality, postcode, state & BSP Number, total = 47 bytes) took about 4 seconds.

The table was native VDF, using CodeJock 13.0 control set and located on a server. We did do a minor performance tweak to the method DoLoad_Table. Instead of using the finding methods, where by the physical record is latched to the local buffer, we used deferred_state and locate_next. This technique is similar to the methods Find_Init and Find_Rec used in cReportDS.pkg. From memory this took about a third off to load and display the information.

Not sure sure why yours would be so slow? Do you know if it's a problem reading the data or displaying?

chuckatkinson
29-Jun-2009, 07:39 AM
Clive,

When did you do the tweak to the DoLoad_Table? Is it in the current class package?

Thanks

Ian Smith
29-Jun-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Clive

Can you send me your code so that we can evaluate and include it?

Regards

Ian Smith
29-Jun-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi Chuck

This "speed mod" has not been feed back to us and is not (yet) in the class.

Clive Richmond
29-Jun-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi Ian,

Can you send me your code so that we can evaluate and include it?

Sure thing. I'll organise to email the change tomorrow.

Clive Richmond
1-Jul-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Ian,

This "speed mod" has not been feed back to us and is not (yet) in the class.

Emailed the changes last night.

Ian Smith
2-Jul-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi Clive

Got you email, thank you. I have merged your changes into a copy of the class package. It works for me, but as this is not a technique that I have used I have sent the modified class to the other team members for evaluation and testing. Hopefully we can get the modification into SVN by next week.

Regards

Martin
20-Jul-2009, 02:51 AM
Clive made some suggestions for speed improvements to the Report Control when using standard Tables, we have review this code and modified it, on our testing system it results in about 0.5 to 1 second quicker for 8,671 records. Depending on Memory, PC power number of Columns etc you will get different results.

Have fun...

I’ve uploaded the changes to SVN:)

Clive Richmond
27-Jul-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Martin,

Clive made some suggestions for speed improvements to the Report Control when using standard Tables, we have review this code and modified it, on our testing system it results in about 0.5 to 1 second quicker for 8,671 records. Depending on Memory, PC power number of Columns etc you will get different results.

Have fun...

I’ve uploaded the changes to SVN:)

Just to let you know I've emailed Ian the link to a workspace that covers nearly all the bases with regard to record finding.