PDA

View Full Version : Report Control Robust?

Chris Spencer
23-Jun-2009, 09:42 PM
After looking at the Codejock forums I was a bit concerned about the number of issues (and unresolved issues) involving the ReportControl.

This coupled with the issues I had with images on the TreeView made be reluctant to dive into any R & D on the ReportControl which may end up being a deadend.

Are there any developers using this control and have they found any issues with it?

Ian Smith
24-Jun-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi Chris

Have you got an update from SVN in the last few months? The SigCj project has some demo views.

When reading the Codejock forum you need to keep in mind the platform (OCX for MFC). Also if you will need the features that are causing other people problems.

The cSigCjReportControl class provided a quite a sophisticated grid that can be rearranged, grouped, filtered, etc. Rows and or cells can be coloured. The minimum you have to do is drop the control on to a view that has DDs defined and set two properties.
Set phoDD to (Server(Self))
Set piTable_Index to 1 The main table demo has a lot of other features enabled

loading progress bar
active tracking
columns that can be removed and added back in
layout saving per user
row colouring
set to work with RowIDs

It also has a right click context menu

Select All / Deselect / Invert Selection
Printing and Print Preview
Export
Process selected rows

Defined columns, sub text etc etc etc.

The report control is currently read only, but we are working on an editable version.

I am happy to answer an specific questions you may have about the SigCj class or the Codejock report control, either here on the forum or via direct email.

Mark Powers
24-Jun-2009, 09:34 AM
Chris:
Not sure of the past, but the present build it pretty darn good. We (as well as another local developer) have created several pretty extensive programs using the report control.
Mark

chuckatkinson
24-Jun-2009, 10:51 AM
After looking at the Codejock forums I was a bit concerned about the number of issues (and unresolved issues) involving the ReportControl.

This coupled with the issues I had with images on the TreeView made be reluctant to dive into any R & D on the ReportControl which may end up being a deadend.

Are there any developers using this control and have they found any issues with it?

Chris

I am using the ReportControl in a couple of programs. 100% of the users love the functionality of grouping and sorting dynamically.

The only issue I have is how the control loads the data. You can set pbAuto_Fill to False, and if you need to load a large table it's best to consider having a progress bar. The grouping/sorting/searching etc are very fast after the data has been loaded. But it's not like a VDF dbGrid in that the control loads ALL the data into the control.

Also the grid is not editable in place. I think this is on the VDF SIG list for enhancement.

Overall my users are very happy with what I've done with it. It's definitely worth spending time on using it.

HenryEgal
24-Jun-2009, 10:50 PM
Chris, I am using the report control in a few different programs and the users love it. I am very satisfied with it. It is a very good investment. The SigCj Team has done an incredible job!
Thanks, Henry

Mark Powers
25-Jun-2009, 09:32 AM
I second the effort of the SigCJ team! Excellent and increditlbe work.
Mark

cobysparks
17-Jul-2009, 04:14 PM
Like Mark Powers said we have some really happy users with the report control. The features are really great and there are more being worked on. I highly recommend it.

Chris Spencer
17-Jul-2009, 05:30 PM
Firstly let me say that theSig group have done a great job on the report control.

However I have spent some considerable time on the control myself and as far as I am concerned the jury is still out.

I find the underlying object model clumsy (ie CJ not SIG) with the empasis on rows and nothing on relating to columns.
I use SQL and the Datasource property when connecting to and ADO datasource is problematic.

Also the newly introduced SUM functions IMO are not workable as they are reliant on specific code for each usage and are not column based, but done by adding a final row to the list
This makes hard times for a generic solution. Because it is not really column based as soon as moving of columns or grouping or sorting is done they just do not work as expected

Numerous posts on the CJ forum show that VB developers are having issues with functionality. I raised some support incidents re the totalling and the answer from CJ support was:

Essentially this is very similar to excel approach and I am not going to teach you how to use excel.
My sample show action and formula behind - in the code. You can use same concept and ideas in your own code if you are developer.
If not - hire somebody with at least intermitiate expirience to build solution for you
Not a great intro to their support.

I must admit they became a bit more helpful when I answered back:

I don't want you to teach me how to use excel

I just wanted some guidance on how to use your product

Oh well

I think there needs to be alot more development on their end before I would be confident to use it in an application, especially since I was looking at it to replace a grid control I use now.
Unfortunately the developer of that control since Jan this year is no longer developing any further.

rows without needing to be concerned with the column, headers etc, all ahandle by teh class