PDA

View Full Version : cSigCJProgressBar

chuckatkinson
11-Jun-2009, 11:59 AM
Any tips on getting this to work with usable progress information?

For instance I have a reportcontrol object that takes A LONG time to load something like 50K records and the user is left staring at a wait cursor - not knowing if the program is locked up.

Would love to send back some useful information about progress of the operation.

Thanks

Ian Smith
12-Jun-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Chuck

We considered this and left it out. Mainly for two reasons, firstly our testing implied that it was not needed and secondly to keep the processing loop as small as possible.

I have added the following to the report control

Property piLoad_Monitor default zero

Events
OnLoad_Start
OnLoad_Monitor
OnLoad_End

I have also changed SigCjReportControlDemo – Table.vw. Auto_Fill has been turned off and a Load Data button and progress bar added.

If piLoad_Monitor is greater than zero the events will fire. OnLoad_Monitor only fires when the row count is divisible by piLoad_Monitor. i.e. if piLoad_Monitor to set to 5 then OnLoad_Monitor will be fired every 5 records if set to 100 every 100 records etc.

The demo view uses a progress bar on the view, but you can implement a status panel, or just have a counter that shows the user the app is still working.

We have not done the control for the progress bar, but the demo shows how easy it is to use. I will endeavour to write this control for the VDF15 update.

If you do not have SVN email me and I will send you the new code.

chuckatkinson
12-Jun-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks ... This is way cool ! I've got some databases connected to reportcontrol with 10's of thousands of records and sometimes a user might think the program is locked up when loading.

cobysparks
12-Jun-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi Ian

The progress bar is really cool.

Thanks so much.

Ian Smith
13-Jun-2009, 04:13 AM
You’re welcome. The impossible we do at once… miracles take a bit longer:D