PDA

View Full Version : VRW any more news ?

Focus
8-May-2009, 10:59 AM
Just wondered if there was any more news on the progress of VRW ?

1) Any idea when the version to work with VDF15.0 will be ready ?

2) I've tried again but as I didn't have much luck on my first foray on trying to use it with an MSSQL database not being overly fruitfull I wondered if things have progressed in this area ?

I can create a DSN and connect to the database but no indexes/ relationships are maintained. I believe this is due to an ODBC limitation ??

When I tried to create a simple query based on a header and two child tables one of the child tables is missing in the FROM clause and therefore the query won't run

I'm reluctant to start with the dataflex option because of the planned "off-loading"

I've tried the same test using the Dataflex filelist.cfg I get all the way to the end and the when I try to run the report I get and error saying it can't find the mssqldrv.cfg file. I get the same error even on a single table test

I appreciate this is an Alpha but i'm really struggling to get out of the starting blocks using the DAW 'recommended' backend DB

Thanks

Andrew

Focus
27-May-2009, 10:56 AM
Bump !

Any news on the next alpha/beta of VRW. It was mooted about the 20th May. Next couple of weeks ?

Thanks

Andrew

Peter Brooks
27-May-2009, 04:47 PM
Maybe off topic - I am currently converting an old app over to VDF14. The hardest part is redesigning the Reports. Laying out the correct positions as were in the old images. If this tool can create the source code for all the sections that would be wonderfull.

Michael Mullan
27-May-2009, 06:09 PM
BasicReport is your friend!

There is a webinar for converting CM reports to BasicReport, I'm not sure if it is a recorded one or not, but Doug G gave it and it made transliterating old style reports to windows super easy, and they usually still work with the Text only printers too.

There's a 1-1 map from the report macro to the basicreport.

Quite cool actually.

MM.

Bob Worsley
27-May-2009, 06:10 PM
That would be something, two modes. One to work like Crystal the other to generate WinPrint2 compatible source code. What are the odds that will happen?

Peter Brooks
28-May-2009, 06:07 PM
Wish I'd researched this earlier! Thanks for the information.

Focus
15-Jun-2009, 08:32 AM
Before I download it has the Alpha2 addressed any of the backend issues I was having ?

Does it now work with 15.0 ?

The notes on the sticky don't mention these unless they have been coverd under "bug fixes"

Thanks

Andrew

Vincent Oorsprong
15-Jun-2009, 02:32 PM
Andrew,

Alpha II is still released as a v14.1 product because Visual DataFlex 2009 was/is not yet released.

Check the enclosed readme for information about the fixed bugs and implemented features.

Marco
15-Jun-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi Vincent,

I think what Focus means, as well as what I am looking for is 'Are my reported bugs fixed'?

I understand it is very early days for this product, but the reports I send were show stoppers for me. If they are not addressed fine, but it would be great to find out, without loosing 30 minutes in download/uninstall old/install new and retest. It would also save the disapointent in finding if it is not addressed.

Kind regards,
Marco

Vincent Oorsprong
15-Jun-2009, 11:30 PM
Marco,

Be ensured all bugs are being logged in a central system and evaluated. I just checked and we logged 6 bugs reported from you. The system says they are all still marked as new. Because the process of logging started later than the work on resolving I cannot tell you right now if this means if and how many are addressed or not. But there are bug fixed, of course.

Focus
16-Jun-2009, 04:13 AM
Vincent

Fair enough about the 15.0 release.

Thanks for the Word doc but is does not contain any more information in the Changes from Alpha 1 section than is in the sticky at the top of this forum ? ie it simply ends with "Bug Fixes". What are they ?

Thanks

Andrew

DaveR
16-Jun-2009, 04:24 PM
Soooooooooo.....................
I've got 15.0

Vincent Oorsprong
17-Jun-2009, 12:00 AM
Dave,

While I am not 100% sure I expect that the next Alpha release (sorry, do not have a date for you yet) will be based on Visual DataFlex 2009. For the current version you need at least the Visual DataFlex 2008 (v14.1) client installed as expressed in the release notes.

Nick
17-Jun-2009, 06:47 AM
Gents;

- Next Alpha is scheduled for July. Since we had some set-back with the previous one, we haved moved an "early July" plan back to "later in July". The number of bug-fixes for Alpha II was low, so we added resources to make sure more fixes are making Alpha III, while still adding features.

- The plan for VRW is to always use the current version of Visual DataFlex. So, Alpha III will be based on Visual DataFlex 2009.

- The plan is to log all bugs in HelpDeskExpress (HDE) - this is work in progress. In fact all developers who have downloaded VRW are now given an account in it, not activated yet though. We exptect to send an email in a few weeks to all, giving access to it, which should give information on the status of reported bugs. In future, we will ask you to log bugs in HDE directly. The automated email notification system will then keep you up todate.
Nick

PS I wanted to enclose screenshot of HDE now, but IE8 doesn't seem to support enclosing JPG's.

Focus
17-Jun-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the update Nik .... even when the technology is working against you :D

Focus
31-Jul-2009, 06:41 AM
Just a quick note to say I've downloaded Alpha III and have had a better start using the ODBC connection to the MSSQL database

I've only had time to do a very quick report off 3 linked tables but this now worked unlike in Alpha II

It will be a while before I can lok at it again but at least when I do I/we seem to be over the first hurdle!

Cheers