PDA

View Full Version : Request: Dynamically changing reports... Report file format? API?

Ola Eldoy
27-Apr-2009, 06:52 AM
It's really nice to see the Visual Report Writer product emerging! I realize that it's just in alpha yet, and that a number of requests will have to wait. But as we have waited a long time already, I don't mind waiting a bit longer ;)

My request is about being able to dynamically (programmatically) create (or modify) a report, either by being able to create a report file (MS Reporting Services has its XML based "Report Definition Language") or by using the API. Either approach should be fine. Is something like this on the drawing board?

Nick
27-Apr-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Ola,
In the first version, you will see some facilities for VDF developers to manipulate certain areas of a report, as is described in the docs that go with Alpha I. This part is called the Integration API. While we will probably enhance this over time (more functions) there is no plan for creating making or modifying a report as you describe available.
Nick

Ola Eldoy
28-Apr-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the reply, Nick.

Without some form of text "storage mechanism" for the reports (either through a text based report format, or by creating a report purely from VDF code) it is hard to control vital aspects of our reporting needs, e.g.

source control (it's hard to "diff" binary files)
templating
run-time report customization
I realize that exposing the internals necessary to accomplish this is no trivial task... Which is why I wanted to bring it up early.

Nick
29-Apr-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Ola, at Synergy, we took notice of the need to be able to easily distinct changes (Marco Kuipers). We put it in the list and want to find a good way to support thisin future.

After V 1.0, we plan on introducing a report template. Other than having a default report style, you should be able to have a standard corporate header/footer/logo etc. but also assign a first page to use one printer tray, while the other pages use another tray.

Runtime customization - sorry, other than the type of influence described in the API integation is not scheduled,
Nick

Ola Eldoy
30-Apr-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi Nick,
Thanks again for your clarifications. I am sure Visual Report Writer will be a great addition to VDF users!

However, being a "code first" guy myself, having to rely on a product that is not fully controllable through code (i.e. plain text) is, for me, a step backwards.

I haven't used Crystal Reports so much myself, so I don't know if what I am asking for here is even possible using Crystal Reports. And as CR users are probably your target audience for VRW, I realize that my request may be somewhat tangential.

At the moment we are happy to use VPE for VDF by StarZen for most of our reporting needs. But, alas, there is no graphical editor. Perhaps we had better look into MS SQL Reporting Services...