PDA

View Full Version : Image gallery

Chris Spencer
23-Mar-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi
has anyone got this app running?
If I point to a folders full of graphics I see nothing in the right hand pane.
Is there some secret to this app?

BTW The other app works well. Looks nice to finally have multi image format support

Garret Mott
23-Mar-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi
has anyone got this app running?
If I point to a folders full of graphics I see nothing in the right hand pane.
Is there some secret to this app?

BTW The other app works well. Looks nice to finally have multi image format support

You didn't get the decoder ring in the mail the day after you downloaded?

OK - well I didn't either I guess - 'cause I have the same issue - point it at a folder full of jpg's & png's & I don't see anything.

Looking at the below iPictureElement has a value of 28 when the loop is done:

For iImageContainerElement from 0 to iImageContainers
If (iPictureElement < iPictures) Begin
Set pbVisible of hoImageContainers[iImageContainerElement] to True
Set psImage of hoImageContainers[iImageContainerElement] to sImages[iPictureElement]
End
Else Begin
Set pbVisible of hoImageContainers[iImageContainerElement] to False
Set psImage of hoImageContainers[iImageContainerElement] to ""
End
Increment iPictureElement

It's reading the filenames in Function ReadPictureNames.

So - just confirming what you see (or don't ;-) Chris -

Vincent Oorsprong
24-Mar-2009, 12:17 AM
Chris,

Since I wrote the example I should be able to give you the answers<g>.

I think it is what Garret says, point to a folder with images and the images will be shown in the format you specify in the toolbar comboform (e.g. 200x200) as much as fit in the page. Another comboform shows how many pages there are. You can navigate thru the pages with the browse buttons.

Clive Richmond
24-Mar-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi Vincent,

I also had the same problem but changing the size to 200x200 did the trick.

Interestingly I closed the program, removed the registry entry and then reloaded the program and navigated to my bitmap folder. It was blank again but this time I just made it full screen and hey-presto the images were displayed. Restoring the view's size also kept the images. See attached images.

It looks very nice and an excellent addition to the product. Well done. A couple of things:

Can the program remember the last folder you visited and default to this folder when it's reloaded please?
The window options from the pull-down menu, status bar and restore, didn't seem to do anything?

Garret Mott
24-Mar-2009, 05:23 AM
Chris,

Since I wrote the example I should be able to give you the answers<g>.

I think it is what Garret says, point to a folder with images and the images will be shown in the format you specify in the toolbar comboform (e.g. 200x200) as much as fit in the page. Another comboform shows how many pages there are. You can navigate thru the pages with the browse buttons.

Hi Vincent -

Thanks for this. However, I guess I wasn't clear in my description. I couldn't get it to work either. With the hint above about 200x200, I did, but am confused.

If I browse to a folder without changing the size, the gallery remains blank. If I change the size to 200x200, it will fill in. I can then change it back to 50x50 & it shows images.

Any idea why it won't show images without changing the size that way?

Thanks -

Vincent Oorsprong
24-Mar-2009, 06:06 AM
Garret,

If I browse to a folder via the treeview that contains graphics it simply shows the pictures, the size setting is just telling how big each image should be.

Bob Worsley
24-Mar-2009, 07:14 AM
Chris,

I'm not sure I understand how this works either.

1. The format in my "Image Gallery" view is not a comboform, it accepts freeform entry only.

2. I've browsed to a folder that has numerous jpg images in it and no matter what I do I can't show any of them. I then went to a folder with one jpg in it, no joy. Looking at the 14.1 bitmaps directory shows nothing either.

Changing the 50x50 to anything else, even the suggested 200x200 has no effect for me.

The "Graphics Demo" works nicely.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but it seems that we might need a few additional instructions.

Vincent Oorsprong
24-Mar-2009, 07:40 AM
Clive,

Interestingly I closed the program, removed the registry entry and then reloaded the program and navigated to my bitmap folder. It was blank again but this time I just made it full screen and hey-presto the images were displayed. Restoring the view's size also kept the images. See attached images.
I am not sure if I understand what you mean. What I fixed today is that the panel size & location will be stored and restored better.

Can the program remember the last folder you visited and default to this folder when it's reloaded please?
What would be the advantage of such a feature? Learn how to traverse a treeview to see if the folder still exist?

The window options from the pull-down menu, status bar and restore, didn't seem to do anything?
I removed the Window pulldown. There is no client area and turn off the statusbar is not really needed. Storing the menubar and restore is not needed either.

Vincent Oorsprong
24-Mar-2009, 07:46 AM
Bob,

The format in my "Image Gallery" view is not a comboform, it accepts freeform entry only.
You are right, it is not a comboform, sorry. But it should not be related to display problems you report.

I've browsed to a folder that has numerous jpg images in it and no matter what I do I can't show any of them. I then went to a folder with one jpg in it, no joy. Looking at the 14.1 bitmaps directory shows nothing either.
Difficult to say, it works here. Have you debugged the ReadPictureNames function to see what files are found? It works smoothly in my situation.

Bob Worsley
24-Mar-2009, 08:20 AM
Bob,

Have you debugged the ReadPictureNames function to see what files are found?

I just did and it seems to be normal in that it walked through populating the arrays correctly, then showed the "pages" on the view. Surprise. I killed the debug session and tried it from the menu and now it works - even with 50x50. If an exe was provided in the demo I downloaded, it would seem that it must be recompiled before it will work properly.

And one other point. I have a folder with only one jpg in it and that will not display. After checking the counts of several directories, it appears that the number of images actually being displayed is always one less than the actual number in the directory.

Garret Mott
24-Mar-2009, 08:29 AM
Garret,

If I browse to a folder via the treeview that contains graphics it simply shows the pictures, the size setting is just telling how big each image should be.

Hi Vincent -

This is nice, but I'm still seeing "odd" behavior. If I run the app with the default view size & picture size, no pictures appear in the right pane.

If I either a) maximize the view or b) change the picture size (from 50x50 to something else - either larger or smaller - but at least 2 pixels different) it displays the pics.

I also find that if I change the pic size to 52x52, find some pics, & then close the app, the next time I start it, it remembers the 52x52 - but even more important, it displays the pics without my having to maximize or change the pic size. Same with 30x30.

This is on Vista Ultimate - if that may make a difference.

Bob Worsley
24-Mar-2009, 08:57 AM
did you try recompiling it?

Garret Mott
24-Mar-2009, 09:10 AM
did you try recompiling it?

6-8 times

Bob Worsley
24-Mar-2009, 09:19 AM
The problem is in DisplayImagePage there's the following line:
Move (SizeOfArray (sImages) - 1) to iPictures

which should be:
Move (SizeOfArray (sImages)) to iPictures

This fixes the showing of one less image than is actually there and which might speak for the seemingly erratic behavior. At least I now get the right image count.

Clive Richmond
24-Mar-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi Vincent,

I am not sure if I understand what you mean. What I fixed today is that the panel size & location will be stored and restored better.

I'm suggesting that the problem with the blank screen, where the images should be, is still a problem. Two things:

Making the program full screen would display the images i.e. I didn't have to change the Image Size.
Once the images displayed you can exit the program and reload and the images automatically appear. However deleting the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Data Access Worldwide\Visual DataFlex Examples\14.1\ImageGallery meant the problem would reappear i.e. no images displayed.

HTH

What would be the advantage of such a feature? Learn how to traverse a treeview to see if the folder still exist?

I'm guessing here, but if most folks are I like me, their images are usually in the one spot, or at least start from a common root name e.g. My Pictures (or Pictures under Vista). It would be more convenient to go straight to the last folder you had opened / viewed instead of having to traverse the treeview every time you loaded the program. Perhaps you can add a default folder in the configuration options?

I removed the Window pulldown. There is no client area and turn off the statusbar is not really needed. Storing the menubar and restore is not needed either.

Ok.

Jim Albright
24-Mar-2009, 10:06 AM
Garret,

I get the same behavior as you. If I open the Image Gallery in Window Mode (not full screen) I get a blank screen on the right hand side. As soon as I open the program to full screen, all the images appear. I can then shrink the program down to a window and the images are still visible.

Strange.

Jim

Vincent Oorsprong
24-Mar-2009, 12:06 PM
Clive,

Duplicated the problem with displaying. When there are no settings there is a problem.

Clive Richmond
24-Mar-2009, 07:20 PM
That is good news. Thank-you Vincent.

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Mar-2009, 04:36 AM
Problem fixed. In the next update of the library it will be published

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Mar-2009, 05:01 AM
Clive,

Implemented the storage and relocate of the current folder. Will be available in the next release of the library.

TMike
25-Mar-2009, 05:49 AM
Vincent,

if the imagename contains an "umlaut" (german character) the image will not be displayed.

Furthermore, if the pathname contains such a character, the whole directory will not be displayed.

Can that be changed? Thank you.

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Mar-2009, 08:43 AM
Michael,

Do you use ANSI strings? Because everything in DF is always OEM. The ImageGallery applicatie behoeft in de folder structuur wel een aanpassing zodat de juiste namen getoond worden, maar dat staat los van psImage.

Clive Richmond
25-Mar-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Vincent,

Excellent. I think this will be a useful enhancement.

Thanks

Michael Mullan
25-Mar-2009, 09:43 AM
Michael,

Do you use ANSI strings? Because everything in DF is always OEM. The ImageGallery applicatie behoeft in de folder structuur wel een aanpassing zodat de juiste namen getoond worden, maar dat staat los van psImage.
The problem with bi lingual people is that they change language in mid sentence....

:-)

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Mar-2009, 09:47 AM
Oops. Should have been:

Do you use ANSI strings. Because everything in DF is always considered to be OEM. The ImageGallery application needs an adjustment in displaying the folder structure names so that the right names are shown. But this is seperate of psImage

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Mar-2009, 09:51 AM
BTW, I am not bi-lingual, I am tri-lingual (Dutch, English, German)...

Dennis Piccioni
25-Mar-2009, 02:45 PM
The ImageGallery applicatie behoeft in de folder structuur wel een aanpassing zodat de juiste namen getoond worden, maar dat staat los van psImage.

Einfach für dich zu sagen!

I also speak DataFlex! :p

Vincent Oorsprong
25-Mar-2009, 02:55 PM
So we count computer languages too? I hope this will not result in a race who knows the most (computer) languages.

Dennis Piccioni
25-Mar-2009, 03:08 PM
That's why I only mentioned one. :-)

Michael Mullan
25-Mar-2009, 06:02 PM
BTW, I am not bi-lingual, I am tri-lingual (Dutch, English, German)...
well to monolinguists like me, the Dutch and German are "all Dutch to me"

:-)

Vincent Oorsprong
26-Mar-2009, 09:41 AM
Michael,

Implemented and will be available in the next build.

Bob Worsley
26-Mar-2009, 10:01 AM
Will you or someone else post here when the next build is available?
Thanks...

Vincent Oorsprong
26-Mar-2009, 02:15 PM
I fixed it this afternoon

Vincent Oorsprong
26-Mar-2009, 02:18 PM
Of course we will notify. We wait a bit longer before we create a new build.

TMike
28-Mar-2009, 07:10 AM
Thank you, Vincent!