PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with the new forum

Steve Shafer
20-Mar-2009, 09:24 AM
Maybe others have addressed this...but here are some of the things I miss...

1. I want to be able to press new of only one forum. It seems that anytime I press new, I am thrown back into new of all the forums.
2. After viewing a post, I want to go back to the exact place in the list. I find myself having to scroll down to try and find my place.
3. I would like to be able to flag an individual thread as "read" so it won't show up in my next "new".
4. I would like for the "new" posts to be sorted by forum so I can read all of one forum at a time.
5. What do the icons on left mean? I remember reading about them when the forum was first put on line...but I can't find any doc about them now.

I am finding myself using the forum less and less.

Dennis Piccioni
20-Mar-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Stephen,

please see this post (http://support.dataaccess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39052) for what we are doing with the forums.

4. I would like for the "new" posts to be sorted by forum so I can read all of one forum at a time.

You can go directly to any forum instead of using the New Posts menu item and all threads with unread posts will be in bold.

5. What do the icons on left mean? I remember reading about them when the forum was first put on line...but I can't find any doc about them now.

There is a legend of what the icons mean at the bottom of the page. Also, if you hover over an icon, a tooltip will tell you what it means.

Pieter van Dieren
20-Mar-2009, 09:49 AM

If you would visit the forum more often instead, you would see the 'new posts' list isn't that long and a lot easier to deal with. ;)

FWIW: I didn't like the idea to move from the newsgroup to a forum that much either. But now I've been using it for some time I have to say it's not that bad at all. Actually: I'm starting to like it.

Larry Heiges
20-Mar-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe others have addressed this...but here are some of the things I miss...

It's actually saving me quite a bit of time... I used to read everything new and now read just a few VDF...

Steve Shafer
21-Mar-2009, 08:30 AM
I guess I just don't like change! I'll keep working with it. Kind of reminds me of going from procedural to oop! Thanks for the encouragement.

Dennis Piccioni
21-Mar-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm glad to see that you'll keep trying. The last thing we want is to reduce the size or responsiveness of our developer community with this move. Quite the opposite, we hope the switch to web-based forums opens the community up to more folks.

We know that a big part of the success of our products is you, our developers, and in particular all the folks that provide so much help to everyone who comes here.

wila
23-Mar-2009, 04:47 PM
Larry,

Ditto.. I used to read it all and now read hardly any of the threads anymore..
I gained another life ..
Thank you DAW! :D
--
Wil

Peter van Mil
23-Mar-2009, 05:14 PM
Wil,

For me the new DAW forums are more time consuming. It is not possible yet to mark a thread as read and there are some other issues. But still I am positive about the new forums. To certain extend the forums are work in progress and I accept a little inconvenience. There is a learning curve for DAW and the forum users. Anyway, I am not frustrated at all.

So I also want to thank DAW and especially Dennis for his efforts to improve the usability. I hope that you also get used to the forums because I appreciate your contributions.

wila
23-Mar-2009, 05:23 PM
Peter,

Heheh.. I'm not frustrated about the change at all. It wasn't me saying that I was frustrated and I still visit, just not as often.
I just said thanks for the time I've gained spending on other things as reading the forums... ;)
--
Wil