PDA

View Full Version : Web App 10.1 and Win2003 Server

Bob Millard
9-Dec-2005, 03:43 PM
i'm having speed problems. oddly enough they are not exactly a problem with the Web App, although it is a little slow and punchy. They exhibit
themselves during record deletions.

i have this product running on 7 win2k servers and have no speed issues with any of them. it is my one win2003 server that has issues. this is a
whopper of a server. dual processors, 2 gigs ram, scsi raid 5, all setup by an experienced network guy (not me). using a benchmark program he has
from a workstation, it appears to be a real fast network server.

to document the problem i ran my own little speed test.

i made a routine that timed how long it took to delete 1000 records and then ran it under different circumstances. key factors that come into play
here are whether the data is accessed through the network or from the local hard drive, and if the web app server was running during the test. i
expected that having the web app server running would have an impact on performance. i was surprised at the size of the impact!

by the way, here's the meat of the delete routine, it's not much...

Clear McTHdr
Find GT McTHdr
While ( (not(finderr)) and (iCount<1000) )
Delete McTHdr
add 1 to iCount
Find GT McTHdr
End //End While Loop

so, here are the timing results tested during 'ordinary' network load. in each of the cases i'm extrapolating the time it takes to delete 8000
records as this is the usual work load for the client.

with data files stored across network on a separate server using unc addressing in the .ws file.

tested without the webapp running.
36 secs x 8 = 4.8 minutes

tested with the webapp running with no sessions active.
12.5 mins x 8 = 1hr and 35 minutes

------------------------------------

data files stored on local c: drive.

tested without the webapp running.
15 secs x 8 = 2 minutes

tested with the webapp running with no sessions active.
55 secs x 8 = 7.33 minutes

i suspect we need to make some special accommodations for the Win 2003 server or perhaps how it is talking across the network. i'm hoping DataAccess
has some ideas. does any of this ring a bell with any of you? any ideas?

Bob Millard
Dakota Data, Inc.