PDA

View Full Version : Search modification to allow 3 character searches

Dennis Piccioni
6-Mar-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi,

we've just modified the vBulletin default of the 4 character-minimum to 3 characters, since a lot of technical searches are for 3 character words (x64, DEO, DDO, etc.).

Please search away!

hellboy
10-Mar-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi,

we've just modified the vBulletin default of the 4 character-minimum to 3 characters, since a lot of technical searches are for 3 character words (x64, DEO, DDO, etc.).

Please search away!
Hi Dennis,
How much smaller can this search term size be realistically lowered? Today I had run a search on "error 57", which, being that error is a pretty common term, and 57 too small, was pretty unhelpful.

Dennis Piccioni
11-Mar-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Dennis,
How much smaller can this search term size be realistically lowered? Today I had run a search on "error 57", which, being that error is a pretty common term, and 57 too small, was pretty unhelpful.

Hi Matt,

yeah, I think 2 is too small, though. Then it will fill the index with a gazillion words like to, of, if, etc.

hellboy
11-Mar-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Matt,

yeah, I think 2 is too small, though. Then it will fill the index with a gazillion words like to, of, if, etc.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

David Martinko
11-Mar-2009, 11:35 PM
I did a search on [error 57] (no brackets) and it came back with a few posts with the word [error].

Then I did a search on ["error 57"], and it did not find this thread. I expected it to return results where "error 57" occurred together (without quotes). It found nothing.

I also tried [error+57] and it again returned all threads with [error].
Maybe this all still has to do with the fact that 57 is 2 char?

wila
16-Mar-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi Dennis,

Well my suggestion was to just use google instead. However... it seems that the forums are not indexed at all over at google ??????

Try this search:
error site:dataccess.com

now do the same on:
error site:vmware.com

See what I mean?

Do'h!

--
Wil

Allan Greis Eriksen
16-Mar-2009, 12:37 PM
That just means that VmWare products has fare more errors than dataaccess products... or how is it?! *VBG*

(Sorry, Wil. Couldn't resist)

Pak
16-Mar-2009, 01:30 PM
Wila (Wil?),

Try "site:support.dataaccess.com" instead; you'll (probably) get the results you're looking for.

(BTW, oops...I just reported your post instead of answering it! :o Sorry...)

Bob Fenske
16-Mar-2009, 01:40 PM
Wila (Wil?),

Try "site:support.dataaccess.com" instead; you'll (probably) get the results you're looking for.

Darn, thought i had a ban target ... :rolleyes:

Pak
16-Mar-2009, 01:45 PM
I know...shocking lapse in protocol. Next thing you know, I'll be reporting the administrators to themselves! ;)

wila
18-Mar-2009, 12:53 PM
Wila (Wil?),

Umm.. yes it is Wil..

You didn't try what you are suggesting here did you? :D

That was my first test and it did not work.. just like the broader search without the subdomain reference doesn't work.

I can just remember that one of the quoted reasons of this whole web forum was to be visible on google searches. So far... not with success
--
Wil

Pak
18-Mar-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Wil,

Try it without the quotes (I should have been more specific about that) - it works for me.

This is a search I did today:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=sxe&q=site%3Asupport.dataaccess.com+crash+view&btnG=Search&meta=
which was the result of entering the following in the google search box:

site:support.dataaccess.com crash view

I'm not saying that's all the messages with the words "crash" and "view" in it - hard to verify that one - but at least it does find some messages.

wila
18-Mar-2009, 01:11 PM
:o Hi Pak,

Actually the devil is in the details... i wrote site:dataccess.com and not site:dataaccess.com

Hmm... OOOPS yes it works when you write the domain correctly.
Better ..pfeewww

So in conclusion use google searches and make sure you have enough "a"-s in your domain name restriction :rolleyes:
--
Wil

Pak
19-Mar-2009, 03:40 AM
No worries, Wil! Glad to see that it's working for you too.

Dennis Piccioni
27-Jun-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Matt,

we just changed the search engine the forums use, so you now search for "error 57" (with quotes). See the Search FAQ (http://support.dataaccess.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193181) for more.

Larry Heiges
28-Jun-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Dennis,
I think all numeric values would be valid inclusions.