PDA

View Full Version : Searching for old posts

hellboy
2-Mar-2009, 09:00 PM
Today I needed to do a bit of searching on the term "illegal code placement". Running the search on the forum came up with a couple of results, both of which were relevant, but not of any great help in my situation.

So I decided to run the same search on WASP, and it came up with several other posts, these from the old support newsgroups prior to 2005. I guess that these old posts haven't been migrated across (perhaps because they don't fit in so neatly with the existing sub-forum setup), but I still think that these older posts are still of some relevance to users.

Are there any plans to migrate these old posts, or will WASP stick around indefinitely so that we still might have access to them?

Dennis Piccioni
2-Mar-2009, 09:03 PM
Today I needed to do a bit of searching on the term "illegal code placement". Running the search on the forum came up with a couple of results, both of which were relevant, but not of any great help in my situation.

So I decided to run the same search on WASP, and it came up with several other posts, these from the old support newsgroups prior to 2005. I guess that these old posts haven't been migrated across (perhaps because they don't fit in so neatly with the existing sub-forum setup), but I still think that these older posts are still of some relevance to users.

Are there any plans to migrate these old posts, or will WASP stick around indefinitely so that we still might have access to them?

Hi Matt,

do you mean the archive newsgroups? We had no plans of migrating them since they were over 4 years old.

Garret Mott
2-Mar-2009, 09:16 PM

I think Sture's planning on ending at the end of this year.

Dennis - I think he has a point. I've certainly gotten answers from posts well older than 4 years. If you don't want them in the main forums - maybe a separate set? Maybe make them available on the DAW site as text or something?

Hate to lose the knowledge....

Thanks,

hellboy
2-Mar-2009, 10:30 PM
I think Sture's planning on ending at the end of this year.

Dennis - I think he has a point. I've certainly gotten answers from posts well older than 4 years. If you don't want them in the main forums - maybe a separate set? Maybe make them available on the DAW site as text or something?

Hate to lose the knowledge....

Thanks Garrett, you've summed up the point I was trying to make pretty well. If WASP was to stick around indefinitely, then this wouldn't be a huge issue, though being able to search in one place would be nice.

Bob Worsley
3-Mar-2009, 08:21 AM
I certainly agree with the stated need to keep the older postings, either move them over or keep WASP. Every once in a while they come in real handy!